What's new

Android Performance Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Diwoto

New Around Here
Hey guys.

I purchased the RT-AC66U about 5 months ago in June. When I got it, everything was great. I'm not exactly sure when it started but none of my android devices are able to get good download speeds. This applies to all distances. Whether I'm up close or far away and even on both 2.4GHz/5GHz. What happens is that when doing a speed test my phone would go up to maybe 18Mbps but then start dropping to a lower speed. How much it drops to will vary from 9Mbps to 15Mbps. Like I said before, I get these same speeds up close to the router.

The weird thing is that all of the laptops in the house perform like I would expect. I've tried different firmware and settings. I'm completely stumped and was wondering if anyone could help me figure this out.

Oh and randomly last week it went back to normal for about a day without changing any settings. I was able to get pretty decent speeds(23Mbps) 2 house levels apart. I just upgraded my internet yesterday from 28/1 to 45/10 and I would love if our android devices (4 phones, 1 tablet) would benefit as well.

If anyone could help me figure out if this is some setting or if I should return the router as faulty, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time to at least read this.

What kind of modem are you running? That could make a huge difference. And also is your modem plugged into the direct cable line from the street?

Kind of a baseline question, but I find it is helpful on the Android clients is to use wireless settings to "forget" the wireless network that you're having trouble with, and then reconnect to it as though it was a new network.

Just had to do that today with my Android phone when I put new firmware on my router. Took care of the problem for me.

Since I recently just switched ISP, I can confirm this happened with my older motorola surfboard modem and my newer thompson DCM476. The modem is connected to the most direct line into the house.

I've tried to forget the wireless network and even tried factory resets, switching ROMs including android versions. This is happening across multiple devices. I'm still trying to figure this out and it's just down right odd that this isn't happening to my laptops. Thanks for responding though, guys.

I looked at your gateway and honestly would toss it if you can afford to. Go get yourself the newest ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem or something quite similar as this is what i run with my internet provider in san diego. I have this paired with my Asus RT-AC68R and i only pay for 30 down 10 up and i get well over this amount even though i don't pay for a higher bandwidth. I get around 65 down/ 25 up, and it screams. also check your channels with 5ghz there are certain channels that android devices work better on and are stated right here on XDA http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2276700 from this thread on this forum- http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=11711&highlight=channel+5ghz+android , had a similar issue to all my android devices- My Samsung s4, Samsung tab 3 and my HP touchpad-rooted with android not wanting to hold onto 5ghz at all and kept switching to 2.4ghz. Just my 2 cents. hope this helps :). Have a good one!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!