What's new

Androidbox - openvpn amazing speed.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CarlosCraneck

New Around Here
Colleagues,

I have been using OpenVpn on my raspberry Pi 3B+ and another two devices (both with Intel Atom processor). It is clear that those devices have weak processors, but do not consumes much energy power (that’s why I use them). Recently I bought an Android Box (Amlogic S912 - Octa-core ARM Cortex-A53-based SoC (Big.LITTLE configuration 4x1.5 GHz and 4x1.0 GHz with 3GB RAM) and yesterday just for curiosity I ran few OpenVpn tests and I can say the download speedy has more than doubled in such Android Box, when compared with raspberry Pi 3B+ and other two Atom devices. Is this due to the AndroidBox processor? Below please note the specification of all items:

AndroidBox - Amlogic S912 - Octa-core ARM Cortex-A53-based SoC (Big.LITTLE configuration 4x1.5 GHz and 4x1.0 GHz with 3GB RAM

Atom 01 – intel Atom N230 – single core 1.60 GHz- 1GBRAM (old device)

Atom 02 - Intel Atom Z8350 QuadCore 1.44Ghz – 2GB (Computer Stick)

Raspberry Pi - Cortex-A53 64-bit – 4 Cores - 1.4 GHz -1GB

Note: The download speedy between both Atom does not change much, although the processos are the same family Atom, their difference is huge (single core 1.60 GHz vs QuadCore 1.44Ghz.

Has anyone reached amazing speedy on AndroidBox too?

I appreciate your comments about it

Colleagues,

I have been using OpenVpn on my raspberry Pi 3B+ and another two devices (both with Intel Atom processor). It is clear that those devices have weak processors, but do not consumes much energy power (that’s why I use them). Recently I bought an Android Box (Amlogic S912 - Octa-core ARM Cortex-A53-based SoC (Big.LITTLE configuration 4x1.5 GHz and 4x1.0 GHz with 3GB RAM) and yesterday just for curiosity I ran few OpenVpn tests and I can say the download speedy has more than doubled in such Android Box, when compared with raspberry Pi 3B+ and other two Atom devices. Is this due to the AndroidBox processor? Below please note the specification of all items:

AndroidBox - Amlogic S912 - Octa-core ARM Cortex-A53-based SoC (Big.LITTLE configuration 4x1.5 GHz and 4x1.0 GHz with 3GB RAM

Atom 01 – intel Atom N230 – single core 1.60 GHz- 1GBRAM (old device)

Atom 02 - Intel Atom Z8350 QuadCore 1.44Ghz – 2GB (Computer Stick)

Raspberry Pi - Cortex-A53 64-bit – 4 Cores - 1.4 GHz -1GB

Note: The download speedy between both Atom does not change much, although the processos are the same family Atom, their difference is huge (single core 1.60 GHz vs QuadCore 1.44Ghz.

Has anyone reached amazing speedy on AndroidBox too?

I appreciate your comments about it
you forgot to mention what download speeds you get !

Speeds:
Raspberry, Atom - barely reaches 2MB max
AndroidBox - 4MB reaching 5MB max

That's it, this weekend I will run few more tests..

Thanks

I thought it was clear. My internet connection is the bottleneck.

I did not write it, cuz the speedy has doubled in this device and I am focusing the question on the processor, if better, if influcense that much that can double the speedy (and this is amazing for me).

Ps: if you are an administrator, feel free to change the subject of this.

I thought it was clear. My internet connection is the bottleneck.

You never mentioned your ISP connection speed.
OpenVPN on UDP or TCP? What is 5MB? 5Mbps, 5MB/sec?

OpenVPN is a single core process, doesn't matter how many cores the CPU has. This is why the VPN speeds are the same on RT-AC86U router (2 x 1.8GHz ARM CPU) and RT-AX88U (4 x 1.8GHz ARM CPU). Both CPUs are the same generation and have the same per core performance.

We are talking about 200Mbps+ VPN speeds on a router now, this 5MB "speedy" is far from amazing.