What's new

Announcement: 3006 progress report - it's a go

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Hi everyone,

I have been working on the 3006 integration for a couple of weeks now, and I am finally at a point where I am able to confirm that Asuswrt-Merlin will proceed with integrating the 3006 code in the future. That will include the full VLAN and SDN integration (which has been the biggest obstacle during that 3006 integration, and there is still plenty of work left to do to finalize that integration). There are still a significant number of issues to be resolved at this time, but it's working well enough that I can expect to be able to address most of the remaining issues.

For those unfamiliar with Guest Networking Pro/SDN, this means you can, for example, create a new Guest Network on a separate VLAN, assign an OpenVPN client to it, and every wireless clients that connect to that Guest Network will automatically be routed through that VPN. I have that part (mostly) working by now. One of the big problems was that Asus' own OpenVPN code is closed source, so I had to reimplement the integration between the two, by reusing pieces of the VPN Fusion code.

I am not able to provide any timetable at this point as a lot of work is still required to finalize things. My ToDo list keeps growing faster than the rate at which I am ticking completed tasks off it. How long it will take will depend on the issues encountered, how much time I will be able to devote to it, etc...

Also, I don't want to announce yet which models will be supported (either old or new ones). The latter will depend on Asus' own timetable in providing GPLs for these models. That means I don't know either which Wifi 6 models will be moved to the 3006 codebase, or what would be the timetable for these migrations. Again, that will depend on Asus' own timetable. For now, I am working on only one specific model, with other GPLs to be expected from Asus "in the future". All I can say at this time is that it's highly likely that there will be Wifi 7 models supported by Asuswrt-Merlin. These will be announced at a later time. As usual, I don't want to announce any model being supported until I actually have it running myself.

The original plan remains: 386 will be in limited support until the end of 2024, while 3004.388 will remain fully supported. 3006.102 will be developped in parallel, for the models that will be supported by that specific codebase. Also, I don't intend to support a model on two different codebases. That means once I migrate a model to 3006, I will no longer support it on the 3004 codebase. It's unknown yet if I will fully match Asus' own migration there, or if I will keep Wifi 6 models longer than them on the 3004 codebase. This will be decided once we get there, based on how stable the 3006 codebase will be at that point.

The 3006 integration is the hardest one I've had to do so far. It's a lot more work than even the 370 migration where Asus added their first ARM-based devices, and introduced Trend Micro's BWDPI engine. The overall codebase was much smaller and much simpler back then. The SDN functionality alone is made of multiple thousands of lines of code, which I had to figure out at least well enough to be able to interface with it. At least at this point it's now advanced enough for me to be confident that what's left to do is in the realm of the doable. But it's going to take more time.

This is how Guest Network Pro looks like. Here there's a guest wireless and a guest VLAN linked to Ethernet Port 1, each routing traffic to a specific VPN client.

1714405516245.png

I literally wandered over here just wondering what the latest mention of this was. This is great news, thank you for your efforts! We definitely all benefit from your brilliance.

Last edited:
Based on what you've said and what hardware I know you've got, I'm guessing the GT-BE98 should hopefully be supported, but obviously that could change.

Going to be laugh out loud funny if we see Asus-Merlin 3.0.0.6.x firmware for routers like the RT-AX86U Pro before we see non beta 3.0.0.6.x firmware from Asus. 🤣

Thank you for the update @RMerlin

ExpertWifi UI borrowing no go? We won't tell anyone... 🤭
I don't know. I was tempted to do so, but having seen how tricky it can be to have to maintain multiple different UIs with ROG, I doubt that would happen.

Indeed. I wonder how many of us would buy Asus routers were it not for Eric’s selfless devotion to this project. I do hope Asus realises this and appreciates the contribution he must make to its bottom line.

I totally agree with you. Having discovered that Asus has not updated the firmware for either of my fairly new routers in a long time and has announced EOL for both of them yet is supposed to be doing security updates I'm thrilled that Merlin continues to provide the security updates. Sadly, I think my time with Asus routers is going to come to an end and it's not that I care about Asus, it's that I care about all the wonderful people that are members of this forum and my great appreciation for what Eric Merlin dose for all of us.

Morris

I totally agree with you. Having discovered that Asus has not updated the firmware for either of my fairly new routers in a long time and has announced EOL for both of them yet is supposed to be doing security updates I'm thrilled that Merlin continues to provide the security updates. Sadly, I think my time with Asus routers is going to come to an end and it's not that I care about Asus, it's that I care about all the wonderful people that are members of this forum and my great appreciation for what Eric Merlin dose for all of us.

Morris

All good things come to an end. Circle of life

This type of work has to have active installations tracker included and Asus has to pay at least $1/year per device.

I don't know. I was tempted to do so, but having seen how tricky it can be to have to maintain multiple different UIs with ROG, I doubt that would happen.

Do you have access to the ExpertWifi code?