What's new

Antenna upgrade for RT-AC68U ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Agreed, there are so many factors which may or may not explain the difference, its a nice experiment for 20 euros to see 'if' there are possibilities that may work instead of just trowing mesh/range extenders at it.

What it looks like:

1648640924292.png

Common fake Chinese knock-off Asus RT-AC88U style antennas, sold everywhere on Amazon/eBay. I have a bunch in my box, just more plastic. Nothing even close to 8dBi. I don't know where the positive reviews are coming from, perhaps fake as well. Asus original antennas are better. The flatter design ones coming with RT-AC1900P and RT-AC86U are the best upgrade for older RT-AC66U and RT-AC68U routers.

fake_ant.png

I don't know where the positive reviews are coming from, perhaps fake as well. Asus original antennas are better.
Maybe if you measure and test yourself (like I did) you may see it for yourself instead of moaning about it.
To each their own, so far I see improvements, chinese crap or not.

And nothing you tested improved anything? are there any specs to comply to, to get improvements? could the power output be adjusted by the firmware without anyone knowing this? Have you tested with different power settings?

And nothing you tested improved anything?

No. The antennas are not 8dBi. Just plastic resembling Asus RT-AC88U antennas with as cheap as possible dipole inside about 5cm long.

could the power output be adjusted by the firmware without anyone knowing this?

No. The RF modules are already tuned to optimum power. Attempt to increase it (in other way) only increases the noise and distortion.

You might know this already but hate to burst the bubble about an original ASUS antenna, I just took one apart:

1648666215529.jpeg

Now I am curious whats in the chinees thing...

Ok so (to me) its more clear what the issue is, how can we tackle this? back in the day I had my CB designs (ea. DA/AD convertors) made externally, what parties are here today that (still) do customized components like a dual band dipole 2x the bandwidth (as that would fit the plastic tube).
Components: 15 euro
Labor : 45 euro
60 for one antenna (which would then actually have a gain), I'd sign up for that 3x.
Options? hobby groups who are looking to make a buck?

Opinions about these:

New situation, Directional antenna's, 5/7dBi
Approx. 9x12cm
Code:
         Avg  Wurst Best
Object 1 -62 (-63 / -62) 2g (20 meters)
Object 2 -56 (-60 / -53) 2g (3 meters) at opposite  side of antenna
Object 3 -63 (-66 / -61) 5g (5 meters)
3x deployed with overall coverage of 210 degr. ( /--\ ) 180-30 - 180 - 180+30
Object 1: definite improvement to be measured (unknown if this is due to directionality and/or claimed gain)
Object 2: Loss in signal being at the opposite side of the antenna (which is expected)
Object 3: definite improvement to be measured (unknown if this is due to directionality and/or claimed gain)

Why bigger is not always better:

The difference between Directional and Omni-Directional Antennas:

The common observation, there could be a better performing Omni antenna, is only wrong due to the crap out there, it could work if you can find properly build antenna's, however size does not matter much for us users. Sure a real amplifier would do the trick but that often falls outside legal usage while the client could fall silent without boosting (a strong TX does not equal a good RX).

Given that cellular systems deploy 90 or 180degr directionals it also shows a Wifi directional antenna does improve a home situation assuming the AP does not sit in the middle, AP's usually sit at or near a corner, directing the signal is then obviously better then Onmi broadcasting (and loosing signal to an area never used).

Personally I can see improvement (up to 20%) with the last directionals mentioned at #32 and of-course loss of signal on the other side as expected, deployed as /--\ (covering 210 degr). Over the last week, continues measuring, this hasn't changed.

Apologies for the thread resurrection.

One of my AC68u's antennas broke, I was looking around everywhere (UK) for a replacement and can't find stock asus ones anywhere. What would be the best replacement? Might as well replace all three at this point and not have mismatched ones.

I only found this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B081NGN93D/?tag=smallncom-21

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Did the plastic break or the actual antennae? If it's just the plastic, you shouldn't need to replace anything if the look isn't too jarring.

You may also consider going to a few yard sales and seeing if you can find a discarded router with removable antennae.

Other suggestions would be to move on from that 9+ year-old router to something more current.