What's new

Antennas for GT-AX11000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Advertised as 5dBi. Real gain - unknown.

1702310511611.png

Most home routers have omnidirectional 2-3dBm antennas for close to 360° radiation pattern.

Most home routers have external antennas for marketing reasons. More and bigger is seen as better.

Really can't find lower than 5dBi, will it be a problem?
Here are 9dBi antennas with test result:

Recommended source for for wifi antennas that can provide measurements for show? Do these antennas vary in impedance, what spec do I need?

A problem? Maybe not, but look at the vertical dispersion: that's +/- 7.5-10 degrees. It would take 25' from the antenna before the pattern finally spreads floor to ceiling if it was stationed halfway high.

We've gone thru this so many times...

The limitation is not the AP - it's the client, so no amount of changes on the AP is really going to change anything for the better...

Stay with the stock antenna's shipped with the device - they're matched by an RF engineer on the design side well before it goes into production.

If you're missing stock antennas (they do break from time to time, knowing this first hand with my cat getting excited and breaking two) - contact customer care - if they don't ship you a couple for free, they should be able to sell them at a price...

Third party antenna's are not matched to the transmit/receive side, and with 11ax, it's really important to use the first party antennas...

Asus won't send me new antennas, not for free or for payment. Their customer support really sucks. All the do is reply generic answers giving the impression they are helping you, but they are really not. They wouldn't even give me a location to a service center I could contact.
All they gave me, after four emails, was a part number that turned up with zero hits on Google.
Ebay/Aliexpress price for this anetenna is $20 per antenna.
I will open one broken antenna to show what's inside. Cost is probably the fancy moulded plastics.
Worst antenna design ever. Too heavy for the flimsy elbow link.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!