What's new

any idea why my downloads are slow?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scott D

Occasional Visitor
Hello. I know there are many, many variables at play here but I use a GL.iNet Flint VPN router that uses Wireguard config files and Torguard VPN. It is connected to my new ISP (cablelynx) supplied Arris DG3450 cable modem. All connections are ethernet cat6. I use no WiFi whatsoever. Even my Firesticks are on ethernet. Supposedly it's a gig connection or so my ISP says. I never tested the speed without the VPN on. I get right at 30 mbps down and up on the VPN. Steaming is OK. Downloading large files (2Gb or more) is not. My speed goes down to 1 or 2 mbps. I do not torrent. I use RealDebrid for that and almost 100% of my downloading with JDownloader. My download speeds were better with my previous Arris modem than this new Arris DG3450 though my speed tests were slower. I have tried changing VPN servers to no avail. Any ideas on what could possibly be going on? I appreciate any and all help/ideas and I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. Thanks.

I never tested the speed without the VPN on
Well that's the first thing you should do direct to the modem and then through the flint. There's a good chance the modem is providing the speed you're paying for and potentially the flint is as well. The flint might not have enough resources to provide the full speeds which why I'm telling you to test at both interfaces.

If the CM is the issue buy one that works better and also avoid the monthly fee. I was using a MB8600 and never had issues with it hitting or exceeding the speed of the package beyond 1ge. If you have a multi port NIC you can bond two ports together for speeds up to 2ge.

With the VPN off my speeds are 403.8 Mbps down and 40.4 Mbps up. Through the Flint is 30 Mbps down and 30 Mbps up. I am not allowed to buy my own CM per my ISP which makes me suspicious that they are doing something to throttle me

I think they have you on the wrong bin file for gigabit service. Have you tried a hard reset on the modem to force it to download a new file? Also, sometimes you can call an automated number to do it from their side or through the website. Definitely something not right but, obviously the flint should be able to do more than 30mbps but with WG you should get about the same speeds. I would look into something a bit beefier like a pi which can do gigabit as proven by tons of posts across different sites. The flint might be a good standby though when traveling.

Do you think the Asus RT-AX86S would run any faster? I'm beginning to question my Flint's capabilities.

Probably worth a try. Are you trying to secure the LAN or just a single device? If it's a single device just use the software on the device to connect and it will be faster.

I haven't bought anything yet. Still trying to figure out what would be the best bang for my buck

These might fit the bill for what you're looking to do. There's also a thread here about them. I've thought about testing one but, I know it can't compete with my full server for VPN speeds. But you can put it inline and have it handle all of the VPN functions. Not the cheapest option but, it's a true FW vs just stacking the function on a cheap router that will throttle traffic due to the processor.

Here's the strange thing. My Flint downloaded faster before I got gigabit internet. The CM change slowed it down. Any input on that?

This CM is acting differently than the one before it. It has 4 ports and when the VPN is on, they are all showing the VPN IP address. The wireless of the CM does not. It shows my ISP's IP. I'm pretty much a noob and not sure if it's supposed to be like that. My prior CM had 4 ports also but only the VPN router showed the VPN IP address. I will try both different ports/ cables in the morning. I really appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Well, the WiFi on the CM will have direct access without VPN being applied. My 5G gateway has a WiFi function built in as well which makes speed testing easy between networks.

The CM ports are independent of each other and should provide open access without being routed in the VPN unless you funnel all traffic through the flint.

Afaik there isn't a CM that does VPN internally unless it's a customer purchased device that enables more configuration.

The CM ports are independent of each other and should provide open access without being routed in the VPN unless you funnel all traffic through the flint.
Thank you. I thought so too. I have a Cat6 from my CM gateway to the Flint and 3 more Cat6 cables from the Flint to various devices. Only a few cell phones are connected to the CM gateway WiFi.

Last edited:
Wireguard config files and Torguard VPN

Not all commercial VPN servers are fast. Your slow speed may be VPN server you connect to related. What equipment you have doesn't matter. This VPN kills your ISP speed and increases the latency, plus other Internet use complications. I hope you know what are you doing.

Not all commercial VPN servers are fast. Your slow speed may be VPN server you connect to related. What equipment you have doesn't matter. This VPN kills your ISP speed and increases the latency, plus other Internet use complications. I hope you know what are you doing.
I agree but it was faster before my ISP went to gig speed. I don't know what I am doing. That's why I opened this up. Thanks for the reply.

VPN server load may have changed. Unrelated to your ISP modem change. What's the idea behind this VPN? You hide your browsing history from one company and provide it to another. More and more websites refuse services when VPN is detected. You'll be asked to identify yourself more often. Your Internet connection quality and Internet use convenience will be lower. And you pay for it on top of everything. VPN privacy and security only when you control both ends of the connection. With commercial VPN services you don't.

Yes. I have tried changing servers myself through config changes. And even different VPN companies completely and without VPN to no avail. I'm not asking how to use a VPN. Thanks. I've been using one or three since 2012. Unfortunately you have to trust someone. I don't trust any ISP. I have been lurking here for years before even posting. I really enjoy your comments on things because I learn as I go albeit slowly and sometimes painfully

I wouldn't trust a VPN service registered in 5-eyes country, if privacy is the main concern. TorGuard is a US company from Orlando, FL. Anyway, it's your choice. In regards to hardware - Asus RT-AX86S/U or similar using ARMv8 CPU can't do Wireguard faster than about 350Mbps because it's incompatible with hardware NAT acceleration. In other words it won't be any better than your current GL.iNet Flint router. If possible, put the ISP modem in bridge mode. I would play with different VPN servers as well, also I would try OpenVPN instead of Wireguard. Not sure what Wireguard implementation TorGuard has and how many or their servers support it. You may find more servers supporting OpenVPN and your speed may actually increase up to about 100Mbps.

Thank you. I'll try several of those in the morning. I'll be happy if I get back to 80-90Mbps. I do have a subscription to Mullvad but they don't play well with Philo or Real-debrid.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!