What's new

any idea why my downloads are slow?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Registered in Sweden, 14-eyes Alliance country.

Philo is a US-only streaming service, Real Debrid is a downloader. I don't think you need VPN for any of that since you don't share the content.
I don't either but others are on the network I'm trying to secure from our ISP. I'm not 100% sure if they are sharing content. Hence my post. Please take no offense. I'm not here to split hairs. Simply to gain knowledge.

I'm trying to secure from our ISP

Using all-network VPN hurts your Internet experience. What concerns do you have about the ISP?

Every now and then someone comes to SNB Forums with all-network VPN idea, spends the money for the equipment needed and later realizes it wasn't a good idea after all. Streaming services will block you, banks will require multi-step verification, online lottery/gaming sites won't work, etc. Your Internet speed will vary greatly depending on the VPN server load and your latency will be 4-5 times higher all the time. That means no online gaming as well. You basically start limiting yourself based on commercial VPN promises. How do you know what they do with your data? What stops them to link their server to some sort of government monitoring agency? The VPN provider itself may not log anything, but someone else may.

What makes you believe TorGuard is more trusted than your ISP, for example? Don't you think people using VPN all the time are subject of interest from authorities? Your ISP knows exactly what VPN service you are connecting to and for how long. The moment some illegal activity is suspected the VPN company won't protect you. They will first terminate your subscription and second with proper paperwork will provide information for you. When you subscribe to commercial VPN services there are Terms and Conditions. No one will protect you legally for $4/month.

We are having a normal conversation. No plans to offend anyone and no offence taken.

Using all-network VPN hurts your Internet experience. What concerns do you have about the ISP?

Every now and then someone comes to SNB Forums with all-network VPN idea, spends the money for the equipment needed and later realizes it wasn't a good idea after all. Streaming services will block you, banks will require multi-step verification, online lottery/gaming sites won't work, etc. Your Internet speed will vary greatly depending on the VPN server load and your latency will be 4-5 times higher all the time. That means no online gaming as well. You basically start limiting yourself based on commercial VPN promises. How do you know what they do with your data? What stops them to link their server to some sort of government monitoring agency? The VPN provider itself may not log anything, but someone else may.

What makes you believe TorGuard is more trusted than your ISP, for example? Don't you think people using VPN all the time are subject of interest from authorities? Your ISP knows exactly what VPN service you are connecting to and for how long. The moment some illegal activity is suspected the VPN company won't protect you. They will first terminate your subscription and second with proper paperwork will provide information for you. When you subscribe to commercial VPN services there are Terms and Conditions. No one will protect you legally for $4/month.

We are having a normal conversation. No plans to offend anyone and no offence taken.
The main reason I trust them more than my ISP is the fact that I have never received a letter from them for downloading copyrighted material. I have from my ISP. Yes. I know that certain sites don't work correctly on VPN. I also know TorGuard is not the most secure for torrenting and supposedly doesn't allow it on US servers any longer. That's not a big deal to me. I'm not stealing national secrets or downloading CP. So far. Streaming works just fine on TorGuard. Probably will change in the future. Then I'll find one that works for me again as I have in the past. As you know, this is a whack a mole type of thing. The other folks on my network use firesticks with questionable apps that stream content that I'm not 100% sure is legal. That's my main concern honestly. Philo is paid for. A few others are 100% free new release movie streams. I don't know the legality of streaming this content. However they and I have been doing it for many years now. This is not an idea. This is something that I use daily. I don't game. So ping is not a problem for me. So far my bank allows connection while on the VPN but that hasn't always been the case so I access my bank on cellular thats not on the VPN always or I turn it off. As long as Hollywood keeps playing their game, I'll keep playing mine.

You got the letter because you used torrents and it is considered sharing/uploading copyrighted material. Some companies place clickbait torrents in purpose and monitor who is going to start downloading. Then they send a letter with scary text to the ISP and wait for you to reply. The ISP has to forward the letter to you, but they don't reveal who you are. Court order is needed for this. There is no court order because the letters are send about thousands of IPs, not people. When you reply directly, you reveal your identity yourself and turn from an IP into a person, subject to further attacks and threats. This is how this scam works. Nothing new and nothing too dangerous. Just don't reply.

You don't need to run all your network through VPN all the time. Run it when needed only, if you feel more comfortable this way. Streaming is not sharing and is not illegal in many countries. It is illegal for the source, but not for you. Your Firestick users are safe. You fell victim of common scam and spend monthly extra money to "protect" yourself with no real need to do so. I'm assuming you are talking about family members. As I said, your protective actions hurt everyone's Internet experience all the time, needed or not. Why do you pay for Gigabit Internet service?

Only the 3 firesticks and my laptop are routed through the VPN. Everything else goes through the CM gateway. We got gig service because it was cheaper than the previous service (at least for 1 year anyway).

Only the 3 firesticks and my laptop are routed through the VPN.

My suggestion is to leave the Firesticks with on-router VPN client and use on-device VPN for your laptop. Laptop's x86 CPU will give you much better performance and you can turn the VPN on/off as well as change the server with few clicks only. Firesticks are fine, most HD streams are under 10Mbps data rate. If you manage to get the on-router VPN client speed to about 80Mbps, you can fit 2x UHD streams.

Something is not right with your Gigabit ISP connection, if you are getting around 400Mbps out of it. Measure the speed at the ISP modem using Ethernet connected client, your laptop for example. If your Flint is throttling the connection, the Wireguard VPN may have disabled NAT acceleration on it as well. Try OpenVPN connection and measure the speed again. You have to see up to 940Mbps speeds, if everything is configured and working correctly.

Got everything back to normal. ISP had to come out and rewrire and ground something. Now download speed is 897.70 Mbps down and 46.39 Mbps up ON wireguard! Thanks for everyone's help. Much appreciated.

Good you fixed the speed, but check for IPv6 leaks. Your GL.iNet Flint router can't do >500Mbps on Wireguard.
You are right. That was on my laptop with the VPN client. I'm right at half that with the Flint. According ipv6leak.com my ipv6 is not leaking.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!