What's new

Anybody using these tiny USB 3.0 Flash drives with asusWRT-Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I recommend using a usb 'extension' cable when a usb key is used constantly.

The key may still heat up. But it will protect the host equipment (and plug) from the excess heat.

This would work counterintuitively to what I'm trying to accomplish.

This would work counterintuitively to what I'm trying to accomplish.

If you are going for the smallest possible footprint, consider the Sandisk Cruzer Fit. It is slightly smaller then the newer Ultra Fit.

The difference is not large though...

If you are going for the smallest possible footprint, consider the Sandisk Cruzer Fit. It is slightly smaller then the newer Ultra Fit.

The difference is not large though...

I believe those are limited to 64GB which is a shame since they have a solid track record and no heat issues that I'm aware of.

I use that same thumb drive in first post also. It is very hot if you touch the metal when pulling it out. I think I now have it plugged into the usb 2.0 slot becuase it corrupted on me 3 times after home powerfailures. Too bad dnscrypt, nano (is included with HGG) isnt included in the firmware so I would'nt need it. AC68U HGG .57 Edit: Sandisk Ultra Fit 32GB in the USB 2.0 slot

Last edited:
I used Sandisk Ultra Fit 128GB with DIR-868L connected directly to
DIR-868L USB3.0 port once.

The Sandisk Ultra Fit would get really really hot. I'm not sure where the heat
coming from. It could be from the router or from the drive itself.

That's why I do not use it with the router anymore. I think it would shorten
the life span of the USB drive.

Maybe you can try to use the extension USB3.0 cable (if the heat is from the router)
or use the external HDD instead.

I use that same thumb drive in first post also. It is very hot if you touch the metal when pulling it out. I think I now have it plugged into the usb 2.0 slot becuase it corrupted on me 3 times after home powerfailures. Too bad dnscrypt, nano (is included with HGG) isnt included in the firmware so I would'nt need it. AC68U HGG .57 Edit: Sandisk Ultra Fit 32GB in the USB 2.0 slot
I used Sandisk Ultra Fit 128GB with DIR-868L connected directly to
DIR-868L USB3.0 port once.

The Sandisk Ultra Fit would get really really hot. I'm not sure where the heat
coming from. It could be from the router or from the drive itself.

That's why I do not use it with the router anymore. I think it would shorten
the life span of the USB drive.

Maybe you can try to use the extension USB3.0 cable (if the heat is from the router)
or use the external HDD instead.

The more I look into the SanDisk, the happier I am I didn't pull the trigger on it when I found it for a killer deal. The amazon reviews reflect what you're saying here as well. The Samsung and Lexar drive don't have these complaints from what I could find.

The more I look into the SanDisk, the happier I am I didn't pull the trigger on it when I found it for a killer deal. The amazon reviews reflect what you're saying here as well. The Samsung and Lexar drive don't have these complaints from what I could find.

Well.. I got the awesome deal too. But I didn't plan to use it with router anyway. Just only wanted to test something with the router.

Any experiences with these? Thoughts? My router is constantly on the move with me and it would be nice to have a set and forget bit of extra storage.
All my problems with USB 3.0 storage on RT-AC68u routers went away when I switched to using super cheap (say $35 US dollars) OCZ Trion SSD drives in $20 dollar USB 3.0 external enclosures, instead of flash drives. Even the worst 2.5 inch SSD is way more heavy duty than just about any flash drive. And there is way, way more RAM caching on any SSD. And of course the heat issues approach absolute zero with the huge-surface-area 2.5 inch SSD drives.

I recommend using a usb 'extension' cable when a usb key is used constantly.

The key may still heat up. But it will protect the host equipment (and plug) from the excess heat.

I have have a Sandisk USB as shown on the right of the picture in post #1. It also ran very hot, even though it was accessed very infrequently, so I now connect it with a 15cm USB extension cable.

The USB stick now runs a bit cooler (but still quite warm), but more importantly the USB socket on the router seems much cooler now.

If I were using the stick very intensively, I would perhaps choose a longer extension cable, so less heat would be transmitted back to the router.

As far as I can tell, this type of stick is working without problems with my router (RT-AC66R, Merlin 378.56_3).

Hope this helps
PB

Last edited:
All my problems with USB 3.0 storage on RT-AC68u routers went away when I switched to using super cheap (say $35 US dollars) OCZ Trion SSD drives in $20 dollar USB 3.0 external enclosures, instead of flash drives. Even the worst 2.5 inch SSD is way more heavy duty than just about any flash drive. And there is way, way more RAM caching on any SSD. And of course the heat issues approach absolute zero with the huge-surface-area 2.5 inch SSD drives.

My router locks up when I connect my M.2 SATA drive. I don't feel like investing in another SSD, as cheap some may be so I'm looking at these minimal footprint USB drives that will essentially stay 'permanently' affixed to the router.

My router locks up when I connect my M.2 SATA drive. I don't feel like investing in another SSD, as cheap some may be so I'm looking at these minimal footprint USB drives that will essentially stay 'permanently' affixed to the router.
Not sure how you found an SSD drive in an external USB enclosure that does not work with an Asus router. Have not found such a combination yet. But then this is perhaps because you are using one of the quite new M.2 drives that I have not yet tried? I was thinking that you would but a good old SATA SSD drive in an external USB enclosure. I have no doubt that you will find that any SATA SSD drive in an enclosure works perfectly, and generates no noticeable warmth. And it will have much more durability than a tiny flash drive.

Of course what I describe probably costs a few dollars more than the cheapest possible 128gb flash drive. If that marginal cost is problematic then it appears that it's not worth much to you to resolve your problem.

Not sure how you found an SSD drive in an external USB enclosure that does not work with an Asus router. Have not found such a combination yet. But then this is perhaps because you are using one of the quite new M.2 drives that I have not yet tried? I was thinking that you would but a good old SATA SSD drive in an external USB enclosure. I have no doubt that you will find that any SATA SSD drive in an enclosure works perfectly, and generates no noticeable warmth. And it will have much more durability than a tiny flash drive.

Of course what I describe probably costs a few dollars more than the cheapest possible 128gb flash drive. If that marginal cost is problematic then it appears that it's not worth much to you to resolve your problem.

Yea it's just the M.2 drive I have that is having the issue, Portable HDD and thumb drives are fine. It's a niche drive with a proprietary Apple connector so not a huge surprise that it isn't compatible.

If I was going to start spending more than a few dollars I would just go ahead and start building a NAS. Tinkering with the capabilities of my router is purely a hobby for me hence the minimal budget/footprint.

Last edited:
i'm using a crappy old usb2 to support diversion+stubby
and i keep any optional logging turned off.
i'd only get better if i was actually doing nas off the usb.

btw i tried the usb pigtail trick, and it doesn't work,
best to simply set all usb3 devices in usb2 mode
to save you a few dBm of wifi noise.

and the place to worry about heat is not the usb stick
it's the router mobo itself. invest $5 in a usb wired fan
and position it anywhere near the chassis grill to keep
some air flow going... that's how i lower mine by 20°C.

Using a Cruzer Fit 64GB USB Flash Drive on my AC88U and it is hot when unplugged.
So far have just left it connected to the USB3 port on the router with the router running 24/7, didn't notice any issue with it.

My Cruzer Fit 16GB USB3.1 drive feels extremely hot. It's running 24/7 plugged directly into AC68U. I didn't give much thought to risk of overheat. I guessed it'd be able to handle it. Now looking at the Sandisk website for design specs I can see the recommended operating temp is 0ºC to 45 ºC and the recommended storage temp is -10ºC to 70ºC. That said I can't know just by touch if it's hotter than 45 ºC. If the USB fries I won't mind because it only cost $5. I'll only be unhappy if it damages the router. The USB extender cable is a good idea.