What's new

Anyone here using a Draytek router with a Dual WAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

autopilot

Occasional Visitor
I am thinking of buying a new router and need dual WAN. Draytek get recommended occasionally, so I’m wondering if they are reliable and relatively easy to use in a dual WAN setup.

I have two ISP’s. Wireless broadband - very fast, but poor latency and occasional brief dropouts (great for fast downloads, Netflix etc) and fixed line - slow but very reliable and low pings (great for gaming etc). Currently I have an Asus AX88U, which is setup in load balance mode. However each device on the network has a fixed WAN (based on routing rules. I like this because I have one unified network. So for example, my gaming PC always uses WAN1, but it can see other devices on my network even though they use WAN2.

Unfortunately Asus’ implementation of dual WAN isn’t the best and it’s quite buggy. Every firmware release seems to break something.

So I was wondering if anyone here has used a Draytek like this, and if they are any good?

If you want a router for Dual WAN management only, TP-Link ER605 is $60 and does multi-WAN properly (3x WAN connections). DrayTek routers are expensive for this purpose alone. You can run your Asus router behind the multi-WAN router and use all firmware features as normal.

I own a Draytek Vigor 3910 multiwan router/firewall with 2 WANs (in load balancing configuration) and a 3rd WAN (on a mobile network) for failover.
Pretty good device, completely configurable, but it's not cheap...

I can recommend the TP-Link ER-605, just make sure you get the new V2 version. It has more capabilities than the original. The easiest way to tell the V2 is the usb port on the front.

If you want a router for Dual WAN management only, TP-Link ER605 is $60 and does multi-WAN properly (3x WAN connections). DrayTek routers are expensive for this purpose alone. You can run your Asus router behind the multi-WAN router and use all firmware features as normal.

Thanks for the recommendation. I got an ER605 V2 yesterday, Dual WAN setup was quick and easy, seems solid so far.

I am currently using the AX88U (and 2 XD4's) in wireless AP mode. Do you think it would be worth putting the AX88U in router mode? I just worry things will get complicated. Any tips?