What's new

Anyone using an Asus router with a fiber connection?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lee MacMillan

I have been a Comcast/Xfinity internet customer for 20+ years and currently connect via my own (Arris) modem and an Asus AX86u router with Merlin firmware. I have about 20 connected wireless clients with no more than 2 or 3 active (i.e., actually downloading) at any given time. I have never experienced any kind of slowdown that I could attribute to bandwidth limitations.

A midwestern company called MetroNet has recently wired our neighborhood with fiber optic cables. Their 500/500 offering is 25% less than my Comcast 400/10 price. They supply the router but you can supposedly use your own also. I assume that means I would connect my router to theirs via ethernet and the Asus would remain my wireless "server." MetroNet says I could keep my comcast email addresses as long as I log into my comcast account at least once a year.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with fiber internet connections (e.g., MetroNet, AT&T or Verizon) using a home router (of any brand.) And if so, does it work transparently and are there any downsides vs a cable connection?

No downside.

Cable is woefully outclassed by symmetrical Fibre.

I recently helped my son move from the only option he had in a subdivision that was out of reach of any better service than the 6/.75 DSL line he had. The local telco ran fiber optic through his subdivison and he jumped on the switch.

We used my old RT-AC66_B1 I gave him when I recently upgraded to the GT-AX6000. It works perfectly without any issues. My son chose 250/250 for his speeds and the router handles everything with ease and they couldn't be happier.

Replaced my GFs Verizon G1100 to save the rental fee with the AX86U.. 300/300 fiber ..works great.

My FIOS bandwidth is only 100/100 and my AX86U is plugged into the Brightspeed ONT with a shared phone connection. No issues. And I get 150 down most times.

My FIOS bandwidth is only 100/100 and my AX86U is plugged into the Brightspeed ONT with a shared phone connection. No issues. And I get 150 down most times.
Wow, another Brightspeed customer!! :p

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with fiber internet connections (e.g., MetroNet, AT&T or Verizon) using a home router (of any brand.) And if so, does it work transparently
Works just like any other connection, as long the ONT isn't also a router (or that it can be set to bridged mode).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!