What's new

Anyway to use a wifi device as a second WAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Eric Lieb

Is there anyway to bridge a wifi connection as a WAN on an AX86S? I tried using USB to my router with my 8800L jetpack but it doesnt work. Wondering if I can have the router connect to the wifi of the 8800L and bridge that as a second WAN

I haven't seen anyone providing instructions how to do it in Asuswrt-Merlin on HND routers so far. What you need is called WISP (Wireless ISP) and it only worked on specific supported Asus routers all models before 2015 (previous Gen ARMv7) and 3rd party firmware like FreshTomato or DD-WRT.

Is there anyway to bridge a wifi connection as a WAN on an AX86S? I tried using USB to my router with my 8800L jetpack but it doesnt work. Wondering if I can have the router connect to the wifi of the 8800L and bridge that as a second WAN

Theoretically doable, you'd require a lot of pretty complex scripting and I'd be concerned with accidentally missing something in the iptables configs and exposing yourself to vulnerabilities.

I believe most of the routers will detect a USB connected ethernet device and allow it to be used as a WAN (someone correct me if wrong) so you could get a wifi to ethernet bridge and configure that for what you want.

I sort of do this, I have a second router setup as a media bridge hooked to the second wan port on the main AX86u, it connects to a backup wifi device on other side of house. Works fine using the wan-failover script on the forum

Theoretically doable, you'd require a lot of pretty complex scripting and I'd be concerned with accidentally missing something in the iptables configs and exposing yourself to vulnerabilities.

I believe most of the routers will detect a USB connected ethernet device and allow it to be used as a WAN (someone correct me if wrong) so you could get a wifi to ethernet bridge and configure that for what you want.
The 8800L doesn't work as a USB modem with Asus routers for some reason otherwise this would be the ideal situation and I wouldnt need to bridge like this.

I sort of do this, I have a second router setup as a media bridge hooked to the second wan port on the main AX86u, it connects to a backup wifi device on other side of house. Works fine using the wan-failover script on the forum
Ya I can use a gli ar750 I have to do this. Was just hoping to eliminate an extra device from the setup

The 8800L doesn't work as a USB modem with Asus routers for some reason otherwise this would be the ideal situation and I wouldnt need to bridge like this.

I mean get a USB to ethernet (or usb to wifi), plug the USB into the Asus and connect the ethernet or wifi to the 8800L.

... Didn't even think about adding another wifi radio to the router via USB....

Obviously it would need to be one that has its own built in admin interface (not just a typical USB to wifi adapter for a PC) so you can configure the SSID and password and use it as a bridge. Those are somewhat less common (or even uncommon). If your router supports dual WAN then an ethernet to wifi bridge may be the easier way to go since those all have their own built in admin interface and are usually pretty cheap (a lot of "wifi extenders" even have an ethernet port built in and can be used as a bridge).

Ethernet to USB should work but only if you can get an ethernet connection to that upstream device which it sounds like you can't?

Obviously it would need to be one that has its own built in admin interface (not just a typical USB to wifi adapter for a PC) so you can configure the SSID and password and use it as a bridge. Those are somewhat less common (or even uncommon). If your router supports dual WAN then an ethernet to wifi bridge may be the easier way to go since those all have their own built in admin interface and are usually pretty cheap (a lot of "wifi extenders" even have an ethernet port built in and can be used as a bridge).

Ethernet to USB should work but only if you can get an ethernet connection to that upstream device which it sounds like you can't?
In that situation the gli ar750 would basically be a wifi to Ethernet adapter since it supports wisp and bridging (it runs openwrt).

Recently, Fresh Tomato intends to be compatible with Asus's AX router, which is under discussion and is in direct contact with Asus.

If Fresh Tomato can support AX routers, then they may release firmware that supports WISP, and share how to use WISP on HND models.

This process may take half a year or even longer, so keep an eye on its progress.

In that situation the gli ar750 would basically be a wifi to Ethernet adapter since it supports wisp and bridging (it runs openwrt).

If you can run it in a strict ethernet to wifi bridge mode that may be your best option then. If it isn't routing or doing NAT etc should work for what you need.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!