What's new

AP mode + same ssid = slow speeds?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MoogLe

Regular Contributor
Hey guys.

I have an RT-AC66U setup as my main router and an RT-N66U setup as an access point further up in the house to extend the range.

The problem Im having is when I set both routers to use the same SSID so that the transition is seemless, I get extremely slow speeds (1-3mb) from the AP. Whereas if I set a different SSID to both, it gets rid of the problem.

Wierdest part about this is that even if I disable the radios on the first router while keeping the same SSID's still doesnt fix it so it doesnt seem to be the signals interfering each other.

One other detail I should note is that the primary router is set to N only while the AP is set to auto with b/g protection since there's still 1 or 2 devices running G. Also already checked the channels and set both routers on different channels that are no conflicting with any other networks.

Any ideas?

If wifi router A is connected to access point B, and both have the same SSID, and if neither is heavily loaded with traffic, they should coexist just fine on the same channel. (assuming no heavy loads on other SSIDs on the same channel, neighbors).

Could there be a routing loop? where traffic is going in a circle - due to misconfiguration of some kind?

Stevech. Do both routers HAVE to be on the same channel? Wouldnt doing that cause more problems?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!