What's new

APC UPS monitor inside the router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xwildx

Occasional Visitor
It would be nice if inside the router we can have a section for the UPS.

There is already a print server so it would be nice to have a section to connect an UPS via USB and check the status.

i.e. https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/APC_UPS

It would give something like

# apcaccess status
APC : 001,033,0819
DATE : Sat Mar 05 SOMETIME 2005
HOSTNAME : somehostname
RELEASE : 3.10.16
VERSION : 3.10.16 (04 November 2004) unknown
UPSNAME : somehostname
CABLE : USB Cable
MODEL : Back-UPS ES 725
UPSMODE : Stand Alone
STARTTIME: Sat Mar SOMETIME 2005
LINEV : 119.0 Volts
LOADPCT : 23.0 Percent Load Capacity
BCHARGE : 100.0 Percent
TIMELEFT : 30.5 Minutes
MBATTCHG : 5 Percent
MINTIMEL : 3 Minutes
MAXTIME : 0 Seconds
LOTRANS : 088.0 Volts
HITRANS : 138.0 Volts
ALARMDEL : Always
BATTV : 13.5 Volts
NUMXFERS : 0
TONBATT : 0 seconds
CUMONBATT: 0 seconds
XOFFBATT : N/A
STATFLAG : 0x02000008 Status Flag
MANDATE : 2002-12-02
SERIALNO : QB0249360043
BATTDATE : 2000-00-00
NOMBATTV : 12.0
FIRMWARE : 02.n2.D USB FW:n2
APCMODEL : Back-UPS ES 725
END APC : Sat SOMETIME 2005

Best regards,

My router is Rt-ax88u firmware asus merlin 386.4 beta 3, I have an APC Back-UPS ES 550 for my router

Have you looked at NUT in entware? I have my AC86U monitor my UPS and have it email alerts when certain events occur. The router also initiates shutdown of my NAS and server upon critical notification from the UPS

Entware has both apcupsdand various flavors of nut that you could experiment with. Likely would be all CLI rather than GUI however.

EDIT: @Jeffrey Young beat me to it!

Like others mentioned. NUT via Entware is one such way.
ScreenshotNUTserver.jpg

In most cases, for most users, a power failure on the router is inconsequential. For me, the NAS is the most important device to protect and mine all interconnect so will all shutdown when required. A router *should* be able to handle the rare reboot without a regulated shutdown since 99.9% of the time people just unplug it or hit the power switch. (Although the UPS should of course still be used without monitoring the battery status) at a minimum)

On the flip side of that argument, having a single device being a master for many other devices is never a bad thing whether that be the router or something else. Maybe Nut can do that, I haven't looked into it.

But, personally I look for anything I can find to REMOVE from the router rather than add any extraneous demands no matter how small. :) (I still am amazed people run print servers with pretty much all printers having wireless support in the last 10 years - I guess some of your printers last better than mine lol)

Another tissue of course would be which brands / devices to support and the nightmare that comes with that, although there are *some* generic standards in this are now.