What's new

App to test home WiFi signal strength

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Digitald00d

Regular Contributor
So, bought 2 new RT-AX3000 routers to replace my RT-AC68U/P routers. Upgraded all four routers to the latest Merlin stable version. Then set one AX3000 as the mesh router and set the other 3 routers as mesh nodes. That all seems to be working fine. I’ve placed the routers around the house. House is 2-story with full basement, about 2800 sq-ft.
I’ve searched for, and tried a few apps with frustrating results, to measure my router placements for best WiFi coverage.

So my simple question is: what is a good iOS app for walking around the house to measure the WiFi coverage? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, bought 2 new RT-AX3000 routers to replace my RT-AC68U/P routers. Upgraded all four routers to the latest Merlin stable version. Then set one AX3000 as the mesh router and set the other 3 routers as mesh nodes. That all seems to be working fine. I’ve placed the routers around the house. House is 2-story with full basement, about 2800 sq-ft.
I’ve searched for, and tried a few apps with frustrating results, to measure my router placements for best WiFi coverage.

So my simple question is: what is a good iOS app for walking around the house to measure the WiFi coverage? Thanks in advance.

Nope. You’ll need an Android device to be able to do that. Actually one of the reasons I carry both android and iOS devices.

Now they’re are some PC apps though that work very well

There is an iOS app called WiFi sweet spots I use on my iPad. Another member told me about it, works great.

Post back if you find that to be too much WiFi for your footprint.

OE

Tried WiFi sweet spots, seems to fit the need. Still moving the AC68s around adjusting coverage. What I neglected to say is the primary router is in a metal outbuilding about 65 yards from the back of the house. It sits in front of a window. The other AX3000 is on top floor at back of the house. The wired devices make their way via power line to this node. Probably not necessary, but I’m getting ready to replace the power lines with small Netgear switches. That leaves me with adjusting the AC68s covering the rest of the house. So far, doesn’t seems like too much WiFi for the footprint.

My one wish would be to VLAN off the house cameras, but alas, with the primary router only accessible via WiFi, well, stuck. [emoji53]

Adding....With what I’ve read, I’m not sure if trying to segment via SSID is even a thing or viable option with the mesh router separation setup I have. Happy to listen to any other segmenting ideas. Thanks!

Do you have a preferred Android app?
I've been very happy with WiFi Analyzer by Abdelraham M. Sid

I paid for the premium version, but the free version is great too, and it has worked quite well for many years. Some of the advanced features are quite handy and help with diagnostics.

Last edited:
I want to try my UAP AC Pro in a few different locations and orientations. Is there a tool (preferably an iOS app, as that is the most convenient) for deterring signal quality/strength in real time? I would like something where something could adjust the access point and I would immediately be able to see any changes in signal quality. I currently have my UAP mounted on a wall, and want to see if going through the trouble of ceiling mounting it will be worth it.

As stated above no. You need an android device to measure signal strength. Been waiting for years. But it’s not possible on iOS.

FOLLOWUP: SweetSpots gives me enough data to see difference when moving nodes.

Doesn’t seem to be overkill on nodes.

Power line devices replaced with Netgear switches after repurposing house landline wall jacks with Ethernet jacks.

Lastly, after searching forums, found some excellent write-ups from OzarkEdge and others on different networks over different SSIDs via DHCP. Requires ssh to router and CLI, which I’m comfortable with (loved vi for those massive changes). I’ll have to investigate whether it’s viable on a AX-3000 (aka AX-58) and whether the effort is even worth it.

Thanks for your help.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!