What's new

Apparant bug in 378.55 VPN PPTP settings - is anyone else seeing this?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spedwards

Occasional Visitor
Does anyone else see the following behaviours in 378.55? btw I'm using a AC87U if that makes any difference...

Go into the VPN->PPTP Server settings page
Create a set of users and passwords. At least two of them.
Turn on the VPN PPTP server if it wasn't already on.
Apply the changes.
Wait for the changes to be saved.
Go back to the same VPN PPTP Server page.

Now, watch the passwords you've already enetered as you go through the following steps...
1) delete a user.
2) add a new user (it can be the same one you just deleted)

At some point in those last two steps all the passwords of the existing users get their user names appended to the original passwords.

I have tested this several times now. As soon as you Apply your changes the VPN required passwords change to be the newly corrupted versions.

Once the users are created I cannot find a way to edit their passwords, so you now have to delete them all and start again with no spelling mistakes. Otherwise you'll need to delete the incorrect entry - which means deleting them all and starting again thanks to this bug.

It is a bit frustrating if your typing isn't perfect. Mine is far from perfect.

BTW I know PPTP is not much use as a security tool. But it makes for a quick and easy way around geo-blocking of IP addresses. My travel routers only have PPTP clients in them.

Last edited:
I fixed that issue a few months ago. It's possible it has crept back in a merge at some point.

I fixed that issue a few months ago. It's possible it has crept back in a merge at some point.

I'm quite new to Asus routers (I moved from Draytek kit at the start of this year) I haven't run many versions of Merlin firmware in that time and I hadn't seen it myself until yesterday when I tried to add a new user.

Luckily having seen it before should make it easier to fix again. Good luck. Many thanks for all you hard work on this stuff!