What's new

Apple Time Machine Solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ApexRon

Very Senior Member
After my AirPort router died over a year ago, I sought another solution. I purchased an ASUS router which stated it supported Apple Time Machine. Well after some challenges with the ASUS firmware, I installed ASUSWRT-Merlin and got it working though not well. Switched from ASUS Time Machine to ASUS SMB which worked okay though slow. Additionally, both ASUS solutions used excessive memory and CPU on the router. So what to do? A NAS solution is pricy.

Fell across a DIY NAS solution for $85 US, not counting hard drive. Raspberry Pi 4!

I am a Linux novice but I was able to configure successfully. Raspberry Pi is using a USB 3 hard drive of mine and Time Machine is using AFP. Here is the flow: MacBook Pro Time Machine --->WiFi--->ASUS router--->Ethernet--->Raspberry Pi--->USB--->Hard Drive . The throughput is amazing. WiFi being used at over 1 Gbps.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!