What's new

Applying Merlin FW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

anfo

New Around Here
Hi

General question. Still running stock AsusWRT FW, but am interested in trying Merlin. Last night, before trying Merlin, I noticed my router hasn't been updated in a while, so I have now got it up to stock version 3.0.0.4.386_43252.

I tried the Merlin 386.2-4 FW straight after, however almost immediately after starting the upload, the router complained with an error, and subsequently I was getting all sorts of malformed graphics trying to resemble the GUI. Luckily, no permanent damage had been done and I restored back to stock and the router is internet connected.

My question is, does Merlin FW have to be at a higher version than the installed stock FW before flashing? Or can any version flash any version?

Anfo

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

You can 'normally' go from any version to any version, but a full reset to factory defaults is required 'after' flashing the firmware you want to use.

Read the release notes of the RMerlin firmware you're installing. That may give you a clue to the GUI issues.

I f***d up. Didn't realise my router is the DSL flavour of AC68U instead of RT. Looks like GNUton's thread is where I head next.

When heading over there you might want to mention that a firmware validation check might prove to be useful. You shouldn't have been able to upload Asuswrt-Merlin in the first place and I'm glad you didn't brick your device.