What's new

Are Orbi Wireless Systems Still Unstable?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jcambridge

New Around Here
I am considering an Orbi System (RBK40) because I'm looking for:

(1) A "set it and forget it" solution--this is for my parents. I understand the reality is that this is never the case (especially with wireless systems), but I don't want to be constantly running to my parents to fix their Wi-Fi. My father also likes to move things around and unplug things from time to time. I don't need features, just high performance wireless.
(2) A wireless backhaul. There is absolutely no chance of running cat5e/cat6 or coax.
(3) I need something that can handle 150Mbps down and up.
(4) Something that can be easily expanded in the future.

But I have reservations as a result of all of the firmware stability issues being reported (at least I see a lot of reports dated in 2017 and 2018). Is there a general consensus that the situation has improved?

What I'm thinking of doing is setting up the Orbi and flashing a stable firmware, disabling the auto-update, and then only updating it once a year during the holidays with a stable firmware version.

I've seen issues posted from others on the NG forums and having setup my friends Orbi system for him. It's been great and no problems for him.
We have seen some FW update issues mostly surrounding auto update feature which some are against. Theres not way to opt out of it either. However doing a power OFF and back on or as a last resort, a factory reset and setup from scratch maybe needed, has resolved most users issues after FW updates. I prefer to always manually download FW files and apply them myself and you can always do this.

The Orbi can handle 1Gb services on wired connections.

You can add satellites however the system you need is kind of based on size of the home. I have a base unit and one satellite and coverage and performance in a 5000sq ft home is great. I have wifi everywhere. 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. Mine is 40 feet in between. So base your satellite needs on the size and building materials of the home first. You may not need two satellites initially.

I'd go with the RBK50 or 53 if they're going to use satellites wirelessly and have a decently fast ISP. I've been looking at the RBK44 for my parents, but they have or can run gigabit backhaul everywhere they would put a satellite, so the wireless backhaul wouldn't matter for them.

I just picked up the RBK50 for 250 and it is excellent. Speed is twice the amount I get with the Asus RT-AC87 . Signal is excellent all over the home. I don't like the auto update but I guess I can live with it. It seems reckless for them to even have such a feature and it doesn't even wait until the router is idle to update. I also don't like the same ssid for 2.4 and 5g but at least I found a work around for that.

I was considering returning it but I think I just may keep it.

Firmware auto-update is the wave of the future *smile*. My eero mesh (and most mesh systems as well as newer routers) auto-update their firmware. I've had no problems with the eero with auto-update of the firmware, just enjoy the added features and bug fixes. When I was using an Orbi, I had no problems until fairly far downstream, when Netgear had a bad patch of firmware. From what I've been reading, they're through that bad patch at this point, and things have been stable again for some time.

I haven't really experienced many problems with my Orbi for almost a year - I have been running the newest Firmware for months due to getting it early to Beta testing and mine has been flawless..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!