What's new

Are there any 4x4 802.11ac miniPCIe cards available?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrQQ

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Are there any? I know that most laptops don't even have 4x4 antennas to begin with, but still?

Second question: the dells I have seem to have 3x3 antennas, so are there good 3x3 cards readily available?

Thanks.

I don't think you are going to find a 4 X 4 mini PCIe card. Development seems to have stopped a while back on Mini PCIe cards in favor of M.2.

Are there any? I know that most laptops don't even have 4x4 antennas to begin with, but still?
None I know of.
Second question: the dells I have seem to have 3x3 antennas, so are there good 3x3 cards readily available?
Only 3x3 AC card I know if is from Broadcom (for MacBook Pro). You may be able to find it on eBay, but good luck getting drivers.

Be aware that many notebooks have a WLAN card whitelist. Anything else won't be recognized.

Only 3x3 AC card I know if is from Broadcom (for MacBook Pro). You may be able to find it on eBay, but good luck getting drivers.

One can find drivers - as the MacBook Pro 11ac card is BCM4360, similar to some other PCI-E cards, but the quality of those drivers is somewhat iffy if one is following the whole thread on Windows 10 vs. the Asus PCI-e ac68 card...

There are some QC-Atheros cards out there - but again, like Tim mentioned, driver availability and quality can be a problem.

Challenge here is that most of the 3*3:3 and 4*4:4 802.11ac chipsets are intended for AP's, not client side... and even then, under Linux, they tend to be NDA only, so it's a real problem...

Hm, so basically, any laptop is mostly limited to 2:2 256QAM 400/1733 link rates for 2,45Ghz and 5Ghz? Everything else is just a theory, because, I guess, the 1024QAM clients are unavailable aswell?

The lack of good WiFi adapters are a real issue, especially at a time when many companies making laptops, are forgetting to include an Ethernet adapter. I like being able to easily connect my laptop to my router via Ethernet, and then start a backup, and have it go at 90+ MB/s, without having to worry about getting a USB 3 Ethernet adapter (which can cost over $20 for a good one).

Hopefully this will improve when 802.11ad becomes more affordable for laptops.

Or you can tru out the USB adapters like Asus USB-AC68, D-Link DWA-192

The lack of good WiFi adapters are a real issue, especially at a time when many companies making laptops, are forgetting to include an Ethernet adapter.

Meh - there's a lot of good laptops, and there, there are a lot of 2*2:2 based adapters...

My old Thinkpad from work was 2-stream 11ac, and the HP Z-Book 15 mobile workstation is also AC867 - what I'm getting at is that they are both enterprise level machines, and this is what they have...

If both Consumer and Enterprise lap-tops, and not just entry level, are focused on AC867, this is likely where the market is for late 2016, and I suggest this will be were things are in 1H-2017 as well...

we're almost 2 years later and we're still stuck with 2:2 256QAM 400/1733 on laptops meanwhile mobile phones supports 4x4 ...

we're almost 2 years later and we're still stuck with 2:2 256QAM 400/1733 on laptops meanwhile mobile phones supports 4x4 ...
Please tell us which phones have four stream radios.
Some phones support 4x4 MIMO for LTE networks but not for Wi-Fi. It's probably easier to implement four spatial streams in a mobile phone form factor for lower frequency cellular signals than it is for Wi-Fi.

I was told the samsung galaxy S9/S9+ was 4x4 mimo LTE AND wifi, with 1024QAM modulation. But Internet Man might be right after all.
The S9/S9+ only supports two spatial streams for Wi-Fi since only two antennas (ANT1, ANT2) are mentioned in the UNII Test Report FCC certification document. Also, speeds of up to 866.7Mbps are claimed for 256-QAM 802.11ac with 80MHz channels which matches a two-stream implementation.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!