What's new

Are there any *reall* free / reliable vpns out there?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fearz

I've been searching all over to find any reliable vpn provider, where I live has very strict stupid policies against VPNs....

I was wondering if anyone knows a reliable or more totally free, totally working, with wirguard even?

Thanks for sharing..

ProtonVPN

I've been searching all over to find any reliable vpn provider, where I live has very strict stupid policies against VPNs....

I was wondering if anyone knows a reliable or more totally free, totally working, with wirguard even?

Thanks for sharing..
Set up your own with an Oracle free tier server.

Thanks for sharing..
maybe you'll get more help/better insight/more alternative methods to achieve whatever your end goal might be if you tell us what it is?
(are you SURE a VPN is the right way to go?)

Thanks for sharing..
Free VPN? Do you really want to lose your credit card number and information?

...where I live has very strict stupid policies against VPNs....

As in illegal? I see a difference between being illegal vs. the local internet provider (ISP, landlord, workplace, etc.) having their own restrictions.

As they say, when it's free, YOU are the product. So if privacy is a concern, it may be counterproductive. Even use of a paid VPN can suffer from the same problem, since all you're doing is moving the area of trust from the ISP to the VPN provider. But at least in theory, a paid VPN provider has more to lose w/ its customers should it violate that trust.

I personal like the suggestion of using your own server running on a VPS (e.g., DigitialOcean). The assigned IP is highly unlikely to be detected as being associated w/ a VPN. And even if it is, you could get a new IP as needed. Granted, most are not free, but free may prove to be undesirable due to the concerns I expressed above.

One more concern that comes to mind is if whomever is doing the restricting is using network analysis to detect it, rather than just destination IP. The mere fact that most of your traffic is flowing to *one* specific destination IP would be a strong indicater you were using a VPN, even if that could NOT be absolutely proved. That's why all of these evasive maneuvers to hide the use of the VPN can be tricky.

Last edited:
As in illegal? I see a difference between being illegal vs. the local internet provider (ISP, landlord, workplace, etc.) having their own restrictions.

As they say, when it's free, YOU are the product. So if privacy is a concern, it may be counterproductive. Even use of a paid VPN can suffer from the same problem, since all you're doing is moving the area of trust from the ISP to the VPN provider. But at least in theory, a paid VPN provider has more to lose w/ its customers should it violate that trust.

I personal like the suggestion of using your own server running on a VPS (e.g., DigitialOcean). The assigned IP is highly unlikely to be detected as being associated w/ a VPN. And even if it is, you could get a new IP as needed. Granted, most are not free, but free may prove to be undesirable due to the concerns I expressed above.

One more concern that comes to mind is if whomever is doing the restricting is using network analysis to detect it, rather than just destination IP. The mere fact that most of your traffic is flowing to *one* specific destination IP would be a strong indicater you were using a a VPN, even if that could NOT be absolutely proved. That's why all of these evasive maneuvers to hide the use of the VPN can be tricky.
Competely agreed with @eibgrad ... Instead of relying on your ISP who might be working against you on this, how about invest in a Starlink satellite internet subscription in order to bypass local restrictions using a (preferably) paid VPN to ensure a bit more privacy?

Even better ...

Supposedly there's a coupon code SMS10 dropping it to $1.73 per month. Can't recall seeing something that cheap from a reputable VPN provider in quite some time.

Even better ...

Supposedly there's a coupon code SMS10 dropping it to $1.73 per month. Can't recall seeing something that cheap from a reputable VPN provider in quite some time.
I stack codes and rebates with Nord and avg $2/mo. I could go cheaper but they have caveats to connect on reboot that I'm not willing to sacrifice local security for.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!