What's new

Are these ping times normal for bonded MoCa 2.0?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

reerden

Regular Contributor
I recently setup a MoCa line using two Hirschmann Inca 1G adapters, between my AX88u main router and my AX92u node. Mostly to improve ping stability compared to wifi.

I have done multiple ping tests in the meantime, and the results are somewhat higher than what I expected. On average, the MoCa line has much less severe ping spikes and lower jitter, but the median ping is around 4ms higher compared to the AX wireless backhaul of Aimesh I was using.

Here are the pingplotter tables (interval: 0,5s), Pinging the AX88U while connected wired to the AX92u.

MoCa direct point to point coax:
Moca.png

Medium distance aimesh with dedicated wifi backhaul:
dwb.png

My question is, are these ping times normal? I use the AX92u for gaming and online meetings, so a low and stable ping are my priority.

I’ve noticed the slight lag in my moca 2.5 setup as well, but it’s about trade offs. I love having the wired back haul, so not a big deal and we’ll worth it…

moca introduces a couple msec of lag.
I read that it will indeed introduce a couple of millseconds of delay. But I didn't expect it to be more than an average WiFi connection, which also introduces a few milliseconds. Someone mentioned around 3 ms and my connection is between 4.5 and 7ms. I'm not sure that is correct.

I recall seeing testing that indicated ~5ms of additional latency with MOCA. Your numbers look about right from that perspective.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!