What's new

Whats a Good range node AiMesh with an 88u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Azguz

Occasional Visitor
Hi all, I was looking for advise or experience in a mesh node for an AX88U.

I'm caught between two routers to put into my mesh set up and solve a odd deadzone i have with WiFi. The TL;DR version is - I need something AX3000 or faster, cheaper than the AX88U that I use as my main router and better than this AX56u plug in extender.

The story:
My house has solar, and regardless if its the material or frequency the panels generate i get interference in spots that for the most part isn't anything i can change. I've been here about 18 months and moved the main router around the house testing over the past year finally landing on an ideal location( Dining rm, mid-house) . Added in a smaller range AX56U (ethernet backhaul) to account for a side of the house and its all working - very well honestly - in some spots its overkill, however to get to the pool in the yard and under a metal gazebo i been using my old AC3200 as an access point. I decided one day to move the AX56u to a spot in the attic and see if from a mesh solution if it could work, it did. However the range was a little worrisome which brings me here for advice. basically I think i have all the cables run, diagram laid down and solution in mind - just hung up on which router to get as a node. currently looking at "renewed" devices on amazon: the AX58U or the AX82U. im only using this as a merlin flashed AIMesh node, and im not sure if i can justify the cost difference for what i need precisely, because its nearly impossible these days to get a manufacture to commit to "Range" of a router anymore. i know that more antennas would equate to better speed and stability in theory, but my unique situation I am looking for outright range and not speed per say. to add perspective - these are specifically for wireless cameras which uses 2.4. My cheaper workable solution is to change the AP SSID and the Cameras, Hide it, and just let my AC2300 handle it... but being by the pool i figured people/guests/me would use wifi anyway, so solve for the main SSID. My current set up in the house is stellar everywhere but the garage, pulling well over 500mbps up and down with zero jitter and ping times in the single digits (i have no wifi 6 devices yet either btw). I've wired every room and device in the house that can be wired to cat6e shielded cabling (what a pain to use) and have around 78 devices online at any given time - 65~ wireless.

I'm leaning to the AX82U, I wanted to ask the merlin forum and get some feed back or someone to confirm my selection or suggest an alternate like using AP mode over AiMesh, although i had some pretty tough transitions between AP's when i had the AX88, AC3200 and a AC1800 hooked up before all this... which is why i went with mesh.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!