What's new

ARP Table, Windows Apps & IP Scanning

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GS_ICT

New Around Here
Hi

While I await on an independent isolated network connection, I need a server to be isolated and run FTP only. Our set up mostly works apart from IP Scanning (arp table) and Software/App Access.

It is connected to our network, has its own fixed IP address (via software VPN) and has all windows updates.
The Windows Firewall has been configured so that everything feasible apart from FTP ports are closed.
Network discovery has been switched off.
Also added connection security rules.
This means anyone accessing the server (hackers are exceptionally versatile) cannot access the web, and you cannot ping our network.

The issue is that an IP scan (Advanced IP Scanner) reveals everything inc. MAC addresses on the network although they cannot be pinged.

However, I am acutely aware that hackers are exceptionally clever and am asking is there any way we can stop an IP scan from displaying this info and secondly is there a way we can prevent software such as the Windows Firewall being able to be run on the computer without an additional password. I am being over cautious as have been hacked previously via a IP camera that was behind an enterprise firewall and had an complex password set.

Thank you

Welcome to the forums @GS_ICT.

If you're scanning within the network, yes, it will show everything.

How are you doing the scanning, and from where?

Hi

From the locked down server itself and using Advanced IP Scanner.
I just want to be able to block this facility somehow and show the server as a lone PC (as if it was on a DMZ).
If the server itself is hacked, not an issue but don't want anyone getting on the network itself.

Hi

While I await on an independent isolated network connection, I need a server to be isolated and run FTP only. Our set up mostly works apart from IP Scanning (arp table) and Software/App Access.

It is connected to our network, has its own fixed IP address (via software VPN) and has all windows updates.
The Windows Firewall has been configured so that everything feasible apart from FTP ports are closed.
Network discovery has been switched off.
Also added connection security rules.
This means anyone accessing the server (hackers are exceptionally versatile) cannot access the web, and you cannot ping our network.

The issue is that an IP scan (Advanced IP Scanner) reveals everything inc. MAC addresses on the network although they cannot be pinged.

However, I am acutely aware that hackers are exceptionally clever and am asking is there any way we can stop an IP scan from displaying this info and secondly is there a way we can prevent software such as the Windows Firewall being able to be run on the computer without an additional password. I am being over cautious as have been hacked previously via a IP camera that was behind an enterprise firewall and had an complex password set.

Thank you
Physical network separation.

Hi

From the locked down server itself and using Advanced IP Scanner.
I just want to be able to block this facility somehow and show the server as a lone PC (as if it was on a DMZ).
If the server itself is hacked, not an issue but don't want anyone getting on the network itself.

Most layer 3 switches have anti-ARP scanning capability

Just note that if a hacker gets to the point where they can execute an ARP scan, you have bigger problems, like how did they get there in the first place...

defense in depth

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!