What's new

Ars: D-Link agrees to settle FTC charges

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You got to be joking, right? Considering how many markets are near monopolies or at least duopolies, what choice do people have?
Routers and Smartphones might be two of the markets where there's still some competition left.
Sometimes consumers can't even vote with their wallets, which is what you propose is the only way things should be done.
Well, you live in a dream world.
Considering those are the exact markets being discussed .......

AND many of those other markets remain without competition because regulation creates too high a barrier of entry for competition to bloom.

Last edited:
The problem is, vulnerable devices getting infected or enrolled in botnets are a global problem. Your neighbour's cameras getting infected are responsible for attacking that website you actually visit. So, it's not just a matter of you and I buying stuff we consider more secure, it's a matter of the rest of the world also needing to do so. And in failing to do so, they are affecting everyone else, by increasing the number of zombies on the Internet.
Then the website will either protect itself, or the network will protect itself, or it will be deemed not worth protecting. REGULATION never fixed anything better than the market. Regulation ALWAYS increases prices, stymies innovation, and decreases usefulness, ALWAYS!

Then the website will either protect itself, or the network will protect itself, or it will be deemed not worth protecting. REGULATION never fixed anything better than the market. Regulation ALWAYS increases prices, stymies innovation, and decreases usefulness, ALWAYS!

You mean like the regulation against toxic food additives, or toxic materials in food grade plastics, or toxic materials in building materials that goes into your home? Don't need those right, as the market will self regulate...

You mean like the regulation against toxic food additives, or toxic materials in food grade plastics, or toxic materials in building materials that goes into your home? Don't need those right, as the market will self regulate...
OK, if you want to go to the absurd to try to prove an incorrect point here in this context then we're done. I don't do straw arguments.

And I'll stand by my point. Even those regulations increase cost and raise the barriers to entry. Follow what was actually said and stop trying to be right when you're wrong and an adult conversation can ensue.

Good luck!

And I'll stand by my point. Even those regulations increase cost and raise the barriers to entry. Follow what was actually said and stop trying to be right when you're wrong and an adult conversation can ensue.
I haven't seen a single person agree with what you've said so far. Maybe you should consider why that is? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!