What's new

Article discussion: NETGEAR PL1200 Powerline 1200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zakoh

Occasional Visitor
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-reviews/32717-netgear-pl1200-powerline-1200-reviewed

I thought it might be nice to have a thread dedicated to this line of products. I myself just received a pair of Netgear PLP1200 Powerline adapters, which I believe are the same thing as PL1200 but with a power outlet on top. The setup was easy. So far I tested it from a couple of locations: same floor but different room, 25-30 ft away, and second floor in the farthest room. In both locations, I got a reliable transfer speed of about 5.5MB/second for large file transfers over http. I think that the same-floor Powerline speed can be beat by wireless AC networking, but that second floor location is getting a fairly spotty 5GHz signal (need to confirm this again) and 2.4GHz signal that won't rival that data transfer rate even with 40MHz wire channel, which I don't use.

Right now I am thinking of getting another one of these to plug my PS3 system into (which only has a wireless-g support and a gigabit E port).

One question that I have about these units is how to I know that the encryption is active? I setup encryption, as directed by the setup guide, but as far as I know there is no visual light indication of any sort for confirming this.

Thanks for the report.

Encryption is always active in HomePlug devices. All you do when pressing the button is to change the password from the default.

I am seeing some weird stability issues with my pair of PLP1200s. The network works flawlessly for a week or two, then my connection to the internet disappears for like five minutes. I can't ping my Uverse router. If this was my router problem, which is not uncommon, then I would have seen in the logs that the router crashed and rebooted (or perhaps AT&T was messing with it). But I often see that the router did not reboot, so the problem must have been the PLP1200 pair that links the router to my AP. Today I again saw the network go down. It was down for like 10 minutes. I lost the patience, and unplugged one of the PLP1200 units, and plugged it back in. Then I was able to ping my router again. Honestly, I don't like this instability because I am looking for a "plug and forget" kind of solution to recommend to my parents. Such a headache. In the end nothing still beats the old fashioned plug and forget cat5e cable. I am might need to investigate how I can run one to that location.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!