What's new

Assistance With Ping and Jitter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Isn't it hilarious how when I want the problem to happen so I can do a tracert, it doesn't happen?

Been sitting here for the past 30 minutes waiting...

Thanks. What exactly should I be looking for? Don't want to bombard you with results that aren't useful.
If you suddenly see that every response after a certain hop is timing out or has ridiculously high response times you can fairly confidently point the finger at where the problem is. So for example, if in your output everything from hop 4 onward was timing out you could inform your ISP that the problem was somewhere between 99.246.14.1 and 69.63.242.193.

In reality ISP issues are rarely as obvious to spot as that.

There's a Windows equivalent that I've used for years. It hasn't been updated for 10 years (not that there's anything that needs updating), and the company that hosted it doesn't exist any more, but it still works.

1614826688738.png

Started happening for about 30 seconds (although the jitter was about 11 ms, the issue is worst when the jitter is 20+)

The only two "abnormal" things I see are hop 3 in the first one and hop 10 in the last one...

The previous 7 tracerts I've done, hop 3 was always 12 ms.

10.0.0.1 is my ISP gateway

1614826913779.png

Caught it I think!
1614826987700.png

1614827119186.png

Some more... it looks like the issue happens when my ISP gateway goes beyond the 1ms... does this mean it's a gateway issue or still the ISP network?

People are getting off right about now so maybe I'll do this again tomorrow between 5-9 PM as that seems like when the issue is at its worst.

Last edited:
Looking at your previous response, you have an OFDM channel downstream and OFDMA channel upstream running, which will provide a higher two way data rate and lower latency compared to a modem that is running QAM channels in both directions, without any OFDM / OFDMA channels running.

Having said that, the two way traffic isn't immune to overloaded neighourhood nodes or a highly loaded upstream CMTS.

To do this right, you need to run ping tests, one at a time to:

1. the router
2. the modem;
3. the CMTS (hop #3 @ 99.246.14.1)
4. the DNS (64.71.255.204)

Each step should clear the way to the next address. What you're looking for is high time returns or any packet loss. That would be evident in the return times which you can watch as it scrolls by, or by quickly reviewing the return times after the test completes.

Looking at your previous response, you have an OFDM channel downstream and OFDMA channel upstream running, which will provide a higher two way data rate and lower latency compared to a modem that is running QAM channels in both directions, without any OFDM / OFDMA channels running.

Having said that, the two way traffic isn't immune to overloaded neighourhood nodes or a highly loaded upstream CMTS.

1. the router
2. the modem;

Each step should clear the way to the next address. What you're looking for is high time returns or any packet loss. That would be evident in the return times which you can watch as it scrolls by, or by quickly reviewing the return times after the test completes.
Thanks

I can let you know right now that I receive packet loss when pinging the DNS server, but only the Rogers DNS server. Was doing it last night again.

I'll do the rest today.

1. the router
2. the modem;

Router is always 1ms or under

Modem spikes randomly, 1ms then can jump to 30, all the way into the hundreds

A couple spikes with the CMTS up to like 32ms but nothing big, generally stayed consistent in the teens.

Packet loss with the Rogers DNS server. I let it ping 60 times and came back with 30% packet loss.

Keep in mind, this was not tested during peak hours so I'll give it another try.

1. the router
2. the modem;

1614984615627.png

New modem today. Same issue (as expected). All the big and major hops seem to be happening after hop 2... with a big notable hop at hop 5. The modem is another Technicolor XB6 (they were out of the XB7 unfortunately)

1614984714270.png

Pinging the Rogers DNS server is just pretty much mostly packet loss... (same issue when doing it with command prompt)

1614984809342.png

Here's hop 2 as well.

This is the general trend. Peak hours are just starting here so I'm expecting it to get worse later on during the day.... All this was tested WITHOUT the Asus router so this essentially rules out the Asus router being the issue.

Further, this is what I mean by my upload speeds starting to sink during peak hours.
1614986306285.png

Download is perfectly fine. Upload isn't horrible right now, but this is directly hardwired into the computer. I should have no problem getting my 20 mb. Later between 7-9, I see it drop to as low as 1 mbps.