What's new

Asus 4G router failover

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sincerity0913

New Around Here
Hello,

I have two Asus 4G routers :
  • Asus 4G-AC86U
  • Asus 4G-AX56
Both have different SIM cards from different carriers.

I use the first one as main source of internet as it allows me to connect an external 4G antenna to it.

Here's the question :
Can I set up the second one as a fail over so that when there is an issue with the first carrier, then the second router acts as a backup solution and provides continuity (even if there are few seconds/minutes delay), and when the first carrier works again, then the main router takes back control so to speak ?

I tried to do it but it seems there is an issue with IPs but I can't solve it.

I know this works when using a 4G router as fail over for ADSL/VDSL/fiber router, but does it work for a main 4G router ?

Thank you for your help !

Luke

The LAN IP address range on each of the routers need to be different, e.g. 192.168.10.x and 192.168.20.x. And of course each router's WAN subnet needs to be different than the LAN subnet, which I assume they are otherwise they wouldn't work.

So that said, in theory it's just a matter of connecting an Ethernet cable from one of the 4G-AX56's LAN ports to a LAN port on the 4G-AC86U and specifying that as the fail-over port. Correction: Configure the fail-over port on the primary router before you connect the Ethernet cable to it.

Last edited:
The LAN IP address range on each of the routers need to be different, e.g. 192.168.10.x and 192.168.20.x. And of course each router's WAN subnet needs to be different than the LAN subnet, which I assume they are otherwise they wouldn't work.

So that said, in theory it's just a matter of connecting an Ethernet cable from one of the 4G-AX56's LAN ports to a LAN port on the 4G-AC86U and specifying that as the fail-over port.
I second what Colin said, the Main router will be configured in Dual WAN mode and the "failover" will be the 2nd router configured as a normal router. It will be a double NAT but that is better than no failover at all right? lol