What's new

Asus 86u Router with Kill switch but want another!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JoeBee

Regular Contributor
I have my Asus 86u Router set up with my VPN provider, policy routing and "Block routed clients if tunnel goes down" ticked to give me a kill switch, it all works perfectly fine.

Maybe its paranoia kicking in, but I always felt it's nice to have 2 or 3 fail-safe measures in place or at least another kill switch to prevent my real IP address from leaking.

I checked online with Firewall (comodo, Windows firewall) guides to block and prevent leaking your real IP address but these all appear tap, network adaptor or client app based firewall guides so had no joy.

Is it possible to use Asus router and Windows Firewall to only allow internet traffic with my external remote VPN server (Mullvad) or any router scripts, add-ons in the router to give me my extra kill switch ?

Last edited:
I knew I should not have bought snagless design Ethernets cables ;)

I still like 2-3 fail safes in life if the option is there. For example yesterday I was testing if an old Intel nic card was still working, my Asus router is set up with policy routing Strict with static ip but with the change over to intel nic card, clear net was on by accident and I almost forgot !

Is there no additional software or router options to act as a secondary kill switch ?

Not quite a secondary kill switch but its perhaps another option for the paranoid.

https://gitlab.com/Marnes/public-ip-display

firefox or chrome addon, which will notify you if your IP address changes.

Did try to look for a windows 10 software which does the same but tried them but not as reliable or good some are using java and others don't seem to work well but the public ip display works well but does take a few minutes to alert you.

Where the fear of IP leaks is coming from? Your Mullvad VPN is Sweden based, one of the countries in 14 Eyes surveillance agreement. If some authority really wants to know who you are, they will. All commercial VPN services claim no logs policy. Are you sure?

Well more user error from myself or even a bad hacked firmware upgrade, software glitch etc

But sure that is a valid point I guess no vpn can be 100% trusted.

Well more user error from myself or even a bad hacked firmware upgrade, software glitch etc

I believe you've got on your email copyright infringement notice and now you're panicking... yes?

I believe you've got on your email copyright infringement notice and now you're panicking... yes?

Nope, just genuinely prefer fail safes really :)

Its kinda like 2 form factor authentication, most could probably do with just entering one password but that 2nd part gives peace of mind.