What's new

ASUS 88U IKEv2 Config Not Authenticated

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Greg Bruyn

New Around Here
Trying to set up IPSEC VPN on my ASUS Router. I want to use built in Windows 10 VPN client to connect to router. ASUS instructions for setup have you export certificate and install but I can't even get mine to be authenticated. No idea why or where to begin.
Stock most recent ASUS Firmware. DDNS through asuscomm.

Here's my IPSEC VPN Screen:

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I resolved my issue which may or may not be the same issue the OP was experiencing but in case it may help someone else:

The logs were showing an error loading the certs indicating they were in an unrecognized format.

I enabled SSH and connected to the router.
cd /jffs/ca_files
ls -l
I could see that the indicated files were in fact there however it turns out the asusCert.der and srvrCert.pem files were 0 bytes.
I then ran the generate.sh script in that folder which created the necessary certificates, then toggled IPSec VPN off and back on and everything worked fine after that.

I resolved my issue which may or may not be the same issue the OP was experiencing but in case it may help someone else:

The logs were showing an error loading the certs indicating they were in an unrecognized format.

I enabled SSH and connected to the router.
cd /jffs/ca_files
ls -l
I could see that the indicated files were in fact there however it turns out the asusCert.der and srvrCert.pem files were 0 bytes.
I then ran the generate.sh script in that folder which created the necessary certificates, then toggled IPSec VPN off and back on and everything worked fine after that.
I tried your method, but cant get IPsec to work. When I SSH into the router I saw that my certificated werent 0 bytes at all. I generated new certificates in web gui, turned off IPSec VPN server, turned it back on and tried to connect but nothing. I see on web gui that it says enabled on green text, but when I bring my mouse over it and it starts showing a new box with information about the connection I can see my computers LAN IP and a status saying connecting... for like 30 seconds and then it stops trying.

I have no clue how to fix this. I can connect with my android phone without any issues using Instant Guard which is a ASUS made app.

Thank you for the info & update. I wound up giving up. Can you help me with a guide on how to SSH to the router please?
You need to download Putty or some other software to make SSH connections. Also make sure you have SSH enabled in ASUS router settings from administration page.