What's new

Asus AC RT-66u Rebooting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jb68

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I recently purchased this Router and using the latest merlin firmware.

I have noticed the System Uptime keeps getting reset and logs getting reset.

It seems it rebooting every 1-2days and not sure what is the cause of it. My Modem uptime is 10 days but the Router getting rebooted.

Is this happening to everyone else? Not sure how to fix it.

This appears in the log when it reboots:

Jan 1 00:00:53 WAN Connection: WAN was restored.
Jan 27 07:05:51 rc_service: ntp 422:notify_rc restart_upnp
Jan 27 07:05:51 rc_service: ntp 422:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Jan 27 07:05:51 rc_service: waitting "restart_upnp" via ntp ..

Thanks

Try storing logs on a USB disk or syslog to a remote server to see what happens BEFORE the reboot.

Normally the log does to RAM-disk, which means it disappears during reboot.

I just installed the latest firmware (the beta) - FW_RT_AC66U_30043742239 - and after a number of hours using it my router's wifi connection disconnected.

My RT-AC66U never disconnected (wireless connection) in about a year with trusty old FW_RT_AC66U_3004354.

I am now deciding whether to go back to 354 or try the second newest one (non beta) - FW_RT_AC66U_30043742050 - and hope it is more stable.

It just did it again.

I am sure others must be experiencing the same thing?

Never had a reboot or disconnect on any of the firmware. Anytime I flash a new firmware, especially when a firmware has a different wireless driver, I always reset the router to factory defaults after I flash it. And then I reconfigure it manually from scratch. And then I remove all the old wireless profiles on all my wireless devices....then reconnect.

What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

Last edited:
Never had a reboot or disconnect on any of the firmware. Anytime I flash a new firmware, especially when a firmware has a different wireless driver, I always reset the router to factory defaults after I flash it. And then I reconfigure it manually from scratch. And then I remove all the old wireless profiles on all my wireless devices....then reconnect.

What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

I see you have an N66U (I used to own one before my AC66U).

Thanks, yes I already reset the router to facotry defaults yesterday after updating to the latest (beta) firmware.
I downgraded to the version one before it and the issue persisted.

If it weren't for vulnerability issues they fixed (will see if either of the two vulnerability issues they addressed applies to my specific usage *, otherwise I can keep my older version (or another older version) since I am not using the USB features (at least not yet).

I am going to 'downgrade' one firmware version at a time until I find a stable one, again.
I will work on it again when I get home by installing the 3rd most recent firmware.

* I have a 2 router setup - I am using my AC66U as a 'secondary' router for wireless only. I have DHCP turned off since, without modifications etc., I am required to use my ISP's modem/router combo as a 'primary router' in order to get TV guide listings, VOD etc.).

In all the time I used xxxxxx354 it was rock solid for wifi.
I restarted everything today (cable/modem router, AC66U and PC that primary router is hooked up to) after downgrading to the earlier January firmware FW_RT_AC66U_30043742050.
Unfortunately I lost internet via wifi (5GHz) again relatively quickly.

I surmise one of the new settings is causing the disconnects or conflicting with something else.

I am open to any suggestions as to which modified or new option(s) that was (were) introduced since FW_RT_AC66U_3004354 could be causing the disconnects, so I can experiment.

Ideally I am simply looking for a plug and play solution though, which 354 and earlier firmware revisions certainly were.

I have not changed my adapter (USB-AC53) or computers or OS etc.
No new hardware either.
Everything was fine for months. The disconnects started right after upgrading the firmware yesterday...

I'll post updates.

Edit - Looks like the vulnerability they addressed in January is httpd, which may be the web server functionality?

I found disconnect complaints by several users on the asus vip forum. One poster said the wifi problems started in December.

Details on the vulnerability they addressed in January:http://infosec42.blogspot.com/2014/01/exploit-asus-rt-n56u-remote-root-shell.html
Is this not an issue for me if I never invoke the installer for the additional apps?

The previous firmware version (before the two January versions) is 3.0.0.4.374.979.
I may try that one. I believe that may be the firmware we installed on the AC66U that is in my fiancee's place.

Last edited:
Update - I have been online via wifi for a couple of hours tonight without a hiccup (not one disconnect).
I am still using the second last firmware (Jan 14) which did disconnect on me once this morning, not the Jan 17 beta firmware which disconnected a lot in a half a day of use.

I'll will likely try the latest beta firmware again to see how things go the second time around given the encouraging performance, so far at least
(2 + hours) with the January 14 firmware tonight.

Fingers crossed that it stays this way.

EDIT - So much for thinking it was better.
It just started disconnecting freqently all over again.
Strangely the disconnects frequently or even always seem to occur after accessing a network drive.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!