What's new

Asus AC3100 assistance*

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tdub42

Regular Contributor
Hey guys I just noticed after I went to 349 (Merlin) that my 5GHz works then stops. I have tried to master reset and restore using the backup utility on the site. I also rolled back to 348 and it worked for a couple of hours then stopped. If anyone can point me to what I need to do ( I have looked as well) will be greatly appreciated. I also would like to be able to restore my setting with the backup utility as my Ring is a PIA. Thanks all :)

Not sure what you mean by “backup utility on the site”? You don’t mean the NVRAM Save/Restore Utility do you? And “master reset and restore”; what exactly do you mean?

By “reset” you possibly mean reseetting to factory default settings (RFDS); you usually would not want to then restore old settings from a backup because any corrupted settings, which may well have been the reason for doing the RFDS, would then be re-established and you’d be back where you started.

Last edited:
Flash the latest firmware and then follow the steps in the link below

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

What this will get you is to a good/known starting point to do your testing of the latest firmware for your network and needs.

Simply flashing a different firmware doesn't always give us satisfactory results, as you've found out. Do a minimal and manual configuration after you've flashed the version of firmware you want to use and then proceed to test things one at a time that is changed from the defaults.

Not sure what you mean by “backup utility on the site”? You don’t mean the NVRAM Save/Restore Utility do you? And “master reset and restore”; what exactly do you mean?

By “reset” you possibly mean reseetting to factory default settings (RFDS); you usually would not want to then restore old settings from a backup because any corrupted settings, which may well have been the reason for doing the RFDS, would then be re-established and you’d be back where you started.
Yes nvram utility sorry was under the weather yesterday. And after flashing i always do a wipe and then restore via nvram utility.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Flash the latest firmware and then follow the steps in the link below

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

What this will get you is to a good/known starting point to do your testing of the latest firmware for your network and needs.

Simply flashing a different firmware doesn't always give us satisfactory results, as you've found out. Do a minimal and manual configuration after you've flashed the version of firmware you want to use and then proceed to test things one at a time that is changed from the defaults.
Thanks for that first time I have encountered this issue. Been rocking Merlin since ac66r. I appreciate the help hopefully I can resolve today

Yes nvram utility sorry was under the weather yesterday. And after flashing i always do a wipe and then restore via nvram utility.

Sadly, John’s nvram save/restore utility is obsolete since, I think, the 380 furmware series. Using it is likely to corrupt settings and cause problems. I could be wrong, but I believe it can still be used with John’s fork, but certainly, with Merlin’s furmware, it mustn’t be used anymore. So your best bet is to now reset to factory default settings and then manually input each of your custom settings etc.

Sadly, John’s nvram save/restore utility is obsolete since, I think, the 380 furmware series. Using it is likely to corrupt settings and cause problems. I could be wrong, but I believe it can still be used with John’s fork, but certainly, with Merlin’s furmware, it mustn’t be used anymore. So your best bet is to now reset to factory default settings and then manually input each of your custom settings etc.
If this holds true that would explain it. I will research that as well. Greatly appreciated all around guys.

Following up didn't do nvram restore same issue [emoji45]. Worked for a day or so then nada..

Following up didn't do nvram restore same issue [emoji45]. Worked for a day or so then nada..

Are you saying you did or you didn't do a full restore to factory defaults after flashing the firmware you want?

If the 5GHz band stops working after a full restore, are you using the 'Auto' Control Channel in the Wireless/General tab? Try setting that manually to a non-DFS channel instead.

Full factory restore my friend. Non-imported items (restored).

Sorry, I'm having difficulty with understanding your posts (probably just me).

Did you try changing the Control Channels away from Auto and DFS channels?

Sorry, I'm having difficulty with understanding your posts (probably just me).

Did you try changing the Control Channels away from Auto and DFS channels?

Apologies my friend I have been using the mobile app and looks like my reply didn't go in order of yours. I didn't see the auto (control channel) suggestion until now. I will try that but again I never had this issue until recently. Granted my 2.4 is pretty solid I am just trying to get things to stable now and the only thing is the 5GHz. I will try and again thanks to everyone for suggestions hopefully I get it working or will likely just get a Ubiguiti AP.

Whenever I change the control channel I am able to connect but devices say inernet may not be available or limited.

Attachments

• 5GHz_ac3100_error.png
    5GHz_ac3100_error.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 445

ac3100 here doing dirty (not factory reset) upgrade & downgrade.
i found 384.9 to cause my wifi intermittent failure days later
so i rolled back to 384.8_2 and have been fine ever since.
many other ac3100 here report using 384.9 without issue.
the only unusual stuff i do is lan qos and host multiple ssids.
i'm unable to offer further troubleshooting advice, sorry :(
my home wifi hosts a family of 5 so it's not easy to make the
time to trouble shoot and hand re-enter from a factory reset.

Last edited:
Whenever I change the control channel I am able to connect but devices say inernet may not be available or limited.

What channel(s) did you try? After changing the channel, try rebooting the router and your client devices.

Any special characters in your SSID or passwords by any chance?

ac3100 here doing dirty (not factory reset) upgrade & downgrade.
i found 384.9 to cause my wifi intermittent failure days later
so i rolled back to 384.8_2 and have been fine ever since.
many other ac3100 here report using 384.9 without issue.
the only unusual stuff i do is lan qos and host multiple ssids.
i'm unable to offer further troubleshooting advice, sorry :(
my home wifi hosts a family of 5 so it's not easy to make the
time to trouble shoot and hand re-enter from a factory reset.
Same boat family of 5 soon to be 6 and work remote sometimes so I understand. Will likely roll back.

I just swapped out the 3100 will look at changelogs from Merlin to see if I am going to put it on there. Looks to be very identical minus the AIMesh icon on home page. Auss firmware 3.0.0.4.384_45149

After swapping out router with new 3100 up and going with 5Ghz now. The 5GHz was about 20Mb faster on stock but I am more than happy now.

The 5GHz was about 20Mb

most will tell you that wifi speedtests can be meaningless.

what matters more is the top handshake speed you may get.
system.log/wireless.log my firetv's handshake at 866 Mbps
while my other wifi devices all handshake with my ac3100
well beyond what they would ever practically need.

with my isp at 100 Mbps and most wired lan hdds at 300 Mbps
wireless speeds any higher really don't yeild anything noticeable.

since we're both on ac3100 & 384.8_2 you may find this interesting;
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/my-ac3100-wifi-settings-any-room-for-improvement.50104/
i try to keep it updated as i trail&error confirm additional refinements.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!