What's new

Asus AC3100 Smart Connect on small network of routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

legomissileman1

New Around Here
I have a small network containing one dual-band ASUS AC3100 router, with two older single-band routers connected to it for a repeating type function: one an old Netgear type N router, and another an even older Linksys router. I currently have the routers set up all on 2.4 GHz settings with the same SSID and security so my wifi devices will transfer between them based on which has the best connectivity. I noticed recently that my main ASUS router has a Smart Connect setting that will switch devices between 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels automatically, and I am trying to decide if I will use this feature.

I am wondering if enabling this will conflict with the other routers in the network. My first thought was that if the Smart Connect is enabled it would only be able to control devices connected to the ASUS router and not the devices connected to the older routers that are wired into it.
I'm also thinking that the two signals on different bands coming at each device at the same time, both with the same SSID, could confuse my devices.
Or maybe my devices will be smart enough to still switch between on their own?

I am not very much experienced with networking, and I can't find anything addressing this online, probably due to it being a pretty specific instance. Any insight would be much appreciated.

I have a small network containing one dual-band ASUS AC3100 router, with two older single-band routers connected to it for a repeating type function: one an old Netgear type N router, and another an even older Linksys router. I currently have the routers set up all on 2.4 GHz settings with the same SSID and security so my wifi devices will transfer between them based on which has the best connectivity. I noticed recently that my main ASUS router has a Smart Connect setting that will switch devices between 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels automatically, and I am trying to decide if I will use this feature.

I am wondering if enabling this will conflict with the other routers in the network. My first thought was that if the Smart Connect is enabled it would only be able to control devices connected to the ASUS router and not the devices connected to the older routers that are wired into it.
I'm also thinking that the two signals on different bands coming at each device at the same time, both with the same SSID, could confuse my devices.
Or maybe my devices will be smart enough to still switch between on their own?

I am not very much experienced with networking, and I can't find anything addressing this online, probably due to it being a pretty specific instance. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Just try it. If your wireless clients have issues, undo it.

OE

I agree just try it. But I would also guess that with the vast range (age and make/model) of routers in your network, this won't turn out well.

Prove me wrong! :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!