What's new

ASUS AC68U V3 not compatible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jpdsc

Regular Contributor
Hi there,

I upgraded my AC87U to an AC68U so I can continue updating the router with Merlin's FW. However, it seems like the HW version I have is not compatible with the latest stable Merlin VER: RT-AC68U_384.19_0
When I try to upgrade from stock version: 3.0.0.4.386_40558 to 384.19; it doesn't allow me to proceed and I get an error:

1605943576834.png

I tried downgrading the stock FW but get the same notice.
Any advise how I should proceed?

Thank you.

I'm not sure you can do it via the GUI (going from 386.xx stock to 384.xx RMerlin code).

Have you tried using the Rescue mode?

How to use Rescue Mode (Firmware Restoration)? | Official Support | ASUS Global

If that doesn't work, have you tried doing a full reset to factory defaults first and trying again?

Or perhaps you want to try the Alpha version of RMerlin's firmware instead?

Download | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

Go to the above link and click on the Pre-beta test builds (occasionally available) link there.

I'm not sure you can do it via the GUI (going from 386.xx stock to 384.xx RMerlin code).

Have you tried using the Rescue mode?

How to use Rescue Mode (Firmware Restoration)? | Official Support | ASUS Global

If that doesn't work, have you tried doing a full reset to factory defaults first and trying again?

Or perhaps you want to try the Alpha version of RMerlin's firmware instead?

Download | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

Go to the above link and click on the Pre-beta test builds (occasionally available) link there.

Thank you.
I will follow you suggestions by starting with the pre-BETA builds.

Maby its a new version that must be implemented in @RMerlin softare, if its compatible.

Roughly 2 months ago I actually managed to downgrade my DSL-AC68U from the latest 386.xx stock to 384.17 Merlin / GNUton FW. Dirty flash, followed by WPS reset and no major issues ever since. Not sure why would ASUS policy be different for RT-AC68U. I am definitely looking forward to your update.

Looks like your Router already has latest 386 firmware. Thats why downgrade is not possible. Try Merlin 386 alpha builds, they should work...

Come to think of it...

If we upgarde to latest 386 stock there is no way of downgrading to 384.x anymore? Anyone tried it yet?

If we upgarde to latest 386 stock there is no way of downgrading to 384.x anymore? Anyone tried it yet?

See my post above ;)

Looks like your Router already has latest 386 firmware. Thats why downgrade is not possible. Try Merlin 386 alpha builds, they should work...

Come to think of it...

Tried it with the AX58U and it downgrades with no issue.

I tried the latest BETA from Merlin but it is still not working, keep getting the same message... Might just have to do the recovery.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!