What's new

Asus ac87u or ac68u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Igloo888

New Around Here
Hi,

I have an opportunity to purchase either or if these routers for the same price.

Which one would you recommend?

And would I be and to use my n66u in media bridge mode with either of these routers?

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I have the dsl 68 and find it ample for home use.
It does have a lot of features, more than enough for home use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should obviously go for the more recent one, the RT-AC87U, as it has better wireless performance, has better hardware and supports the MU-MIMO technology!

Thanks folks. Do you know if I can use my n66u in media bridge mode with the 87u?

Most would agree that the RT-AC68U is probably the better option - more support across 3rd party firmware, and it's a simpler design compared to the RT-AC87U...

87U tends to fall on one side or the other - it either works or it doesn't, and it's probably been the most popular threads here asking about problems with that particular device.

Most would agree that the RT-AC68U is probably the better option - more support across 3rd party firmware, and it's a simpler design compared to the RT-AC87U...

87U tends to fall on one side or the other - it either works or it doesn't, and it's probably been the most popular threads here asking about problems with that particular device.
Interesting comments.

Would you say the latest firmware updates have stabilized the ac87u? I can get it tomorrow for 150CAD with 3 year warranty.

Interesting comments.

Would you say the latest firmware updates have stabilized the ac87u? I can get it tomorrow for 150CAD with 3 year warranty.

I would suggest the RT-AC68U in your situation, given the choice...

87U tends to fall on one side or the other - it either works or it doesn't

And when it works, it was never proved to be working any better than the RT-AC68P, unless you somehow owned a 4x4 client - something very, very uncommon.

So, there is next to no incentive to get an AC87U over an AC68P right now. Nobody has shown either if their MU-MIMO support worked properly or not (and most people don't have the required two MU-MIMO capable clients to take advantage of it either).

And when it works, it was never proved to be working any better than the RT-AC68P, unless you somehow owned a 4x4 client - something very, very uncommon.

So, there is next to no incentive to get an AC87U over an AC68P right now. Nobody has shown either if their MU-MIMO support worked properly or not (and most people don't have the required two MU-MIMO capable clients to take advantage of it either).
I'll wait for the 68p at a can't miss price then. You have successfully convinced me to pass on the 87u. Too bad, it was at a good price.

My n66u is doing well but I am slowly getting ac clients in my home.

tough one, its hard to justify buying the weaker spec'd hardware in this case, but I would say the superior software options on the ac68u win out. e.g. you cannot run john's fork on the ac87u so you forced to use the now gimped wifi drivers, which probably reverses any hardware improvements to the wireless.

tough one, its hard to justify buying the weaker spec'd hardware in this case, but I would say the superior software options on the ac68u win out. e.g. you cannot run john's fork on the ac87u so you forced to use the now gimped wifi drivers, which probably reverses any hardware improvements to the wireless.
Yep, I read reviews on CNET and pcmag that give glowing reviews, but it seems real world use gives the edge to the 68p. I have never used third party firmware, I really like the Asus UI and functionality for the n66u. I assumed it is similar to the 87u and 68p.
Hi,

I have an opportunity to purchase either or if these routers for the same price.

Which one would you recommend?

And would I be and to use my n66u in media bridge mode with either of these routers?

Thanks!

I would suggest you opt for an RT-AC1900P instead if you have access to a BestBuy in your area.

It is the hardware upgraded version of the RT-AC68U and is even supported by RMerlin's firmware too. ;)

If you are using as a router the AC68U is better because of better internal design. For wifi only the AC87U offers more.

yes and no - the QTN is problematic for some users due to the unique implementation there... works well for some, total pain for others...

The RT-68* series seem to be less painful for most...

Looking at the Asus 2016 lineup - RT-AC3100 is probably the best, as it is very similar to the RT-AC68 series...

Why to avoid the others?

RT-AC88U - extra switch offering 4 more ports - it's not a broadcom solution, it's realtek - there's a reason why most consumer AP's have 4 LAN ports, and that reason hasn't changed.
RT-AC5300 - extra radio and the smart/clever smart connect stuff
RT-AC1900 - limited availability - it's a bestbuy exclusive device for now

All that being said - looking at the past lineup - the RT-AC3200 (same issues with RT-AC5300, complexity), the RT-AC87U (let's integrate a 3rd party chip, and then...)...

Which again - suggests, that while not the latest/greatest - the RT-AC68 series is AC1900 class - AC1900 class is still best bang for the buck, strong 3rd party support, and it's on the long tail on a pricing perspective - and it's a pretty decent consumer AP/Router... thus it still hits the "good enough" ratio...

for the ac3200 and 5300 you can just turn off smart connect.
the AC88U even if you dont use the extra 4 ports is totally fine. The problem is that in the UK this is overpriced.

So its really up to you what you want to buy, even other brands use the same hardware as well. Its more of a question of design, firmware and cost.

I'll wait for the 68p at a can't miss price then. You have successfully convinced me to pass on the 87u. Too bad, it was at a good price.

My n66u is doing well but I am slowly getting ac clients in my home.

I really don't get all the fuss about the 87U I have one my buddy has one and my brother has one. I can tell you one thing that I never had any issues at all with it. Stable as any other ASUS router. I would buy it if it has warranty and if its defective you send it back. Simple as that.
Its a shame that people have given a stigmata to the 87U. I would strongly recommend this router because it works great and if you can get that price of 150 cdn grab it :)
I don't doubt that there where some lemons that came out of ASUS with regards to the 87U but that happens in everything we buy. Don't just make a decision because you read some bad comments. There are millions of 87U out there and maybe a handful of people had problems with them, Its to much of a generalization to say that the 87U are bad routers and I challenge anyone otherwise :)

I really don't get all the fuss about the 87U I have one my buddy has one and my brother has one. I can tell you one thing that I never had any issues at all with it. Stable as any other ASUS router. I would buy it if it has warranty and if its defective you send it back. Simple as that.
Its a shame that people have given a stigmata to the 87U. I would strongly recommend this router because it works great and if you can get that price of 150 cdn grab it :)
I don't doubt that there where some lemons that came out of ASUS with regards to the 87U but that happens in everything we buy. Don't just make a decision because you read some bad comments. There are millions of 87U out there and maybe a handful of people had problems with them, Its to much of a generalization to say that the 87U are bad routers and I challenge anyone otherwise :)

The RT-AC87U for certain/many people are not a bad router at all. Nobody said that. And the stigma that the RT-AC87U has? It has brought about on itself (with the problematic Quantenna chipset).

When we have much better choices today, why take the chance? Even at $150, I wouldn't be able to recommend it blindly to my customers. The (possible) number of return trips to their premises would just make me look like I recommended it just as a make work project for myself. And much less future business recommended from that customer and everyone they know. ;)

If a home user has been presented with the facts of the possible dance they may have with this model, then I wish them all the best with it. But presented with these facts, they should be.

They certainly are not the bullet proof Asus router that you, your buddy and your brother have experienced so far. :)

The RT-AC87U for certain/many people are not a bad router at all. Nobody said that. And the stigma that the RT-AC87U has? It has brought about on itself (with the problematic Quantenna chipset).

When we have much better choices today, why take the chance? Even at $150, I wouldn't be able to recommend it blindly to my customers. The (possible) number of return trips to their premises would just make me look like I recommended it just as a make work project for myself. And much less future business recommended from that customer and everyone they know. ;)

If a home user has been presented with the facts of the possible dance they may have with this model, then I wish them all the best with it. But presented with these facts, they should be.

They certainly are not the bullet proof Asus router that you, your buddy and your brother have experienced so far. :)
I cannot disagree with you there :)
But I still stand by my 87U :)