What's new

Asus AI Cloud

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PoppinJ

Occasional Visitor
Asus AI Cloud "Unable to Connect" SOLVED

Im having a very hard time using Asus AI Cloud utility with my router. I can see all devices on my network, I can WOL my computers, and I can connect to my computers.... sometimes. It seems like about once a day I can connect to a PC and see its shared files, but after about 20 min of not browsing the files, I get locked out. I get locked out for the rest of the day, ( at least several hours) and when I try to click on a PC and I get an unable to connect message. Once I get this error message I get it for all PCs on the network, not just the one computer I was originally using. The external HDD that is plugged into the USB port on the router is the one exception. This is available at all times before and after I start getting the unable to connect message.

Im having a hard time troubleshooting the issue. Ive tried disabling the firewall, rebooting the computer, rebooting the router, changing the port, tried the two most recent Merlin firmwares plus the most up to date stock ASUS firmware, Ive tried it from phones and tablets... all with the same effect. After opening up one or two files to test, then browsing around it works great for like an hour. Then after that ~hour I get locked out and "unable to connect" error for any computer except the USB HDD. Eventually it will let me connect to the computers again (like the next day or after work ect) but eventually will show the same behavior. The computers I am trying to connect to include Windows 7 64 bit and windows Server 2008.

Any suggestions to help me track down the issue. Thanks.

Edit:
My entire problem seems to have been solved with the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.374.33_0 . Im not sure exactly what the problem was but Im glad its working now.

Last edited:
Any suggestions at all? Im at my wits end trying to figure out what allows it to connect only sometimes. Its like after it initially connects it times out or something and can not connect again until "something" happens. I don't know whats timing out or what that "something" and its driving me crazy. Im surprised Im the only one with this issue.

Any suggestions at all? Im at my wits end trying to figure out what allows it to connect only sometimes. Its like after it initially connects it times out or something and can not connect again until "something" happens. I don't know whats timing out or what that "something" and its driving me crazy. Im surprised Im the only one with this issue.

I've had difficulty, but it usually only lasts a minute. But then again, I don't use it for important stuff, just fun pictures and videos mainly.

I use Aicloud frequently, but not for extended periods, so my usage is probably not a good comparison. When I use it, it's almost always over Verizon wireless cellular (iPhone app). About 2 weeks ago when I was on vacation, I'd say it worked properly about 75 percent of the time.

I have no idea what the problem is. Hope you get it figured out.

Here is my experience with AiCloud and how I got it to work consistently.

1. I set up jffs as described
2. I built a host file with all the ip/host that I wanted to access
3. Saved it in the jffs/configs
4. Made the router as wins server / force master browser
5. set my wins server ip address same as router

reboot...

I would then test by SSH into the router and ping by name to make sure host was available.

This is the only way I could get it so it was consistently showing up in AiCloud.

I've had some connections issues like that in the past and I believe it was Windows putting the NIC in sleep mode. I disabled the option to allow Windows to shutdown the NIC and my problems disappeared. Not saying it is your problem but worth a shot.

User acocunts

Wanted to try the cloud disk feature....but how do you set up guest user accounts....seems only account you can use to log in to it is the admin router account and password...i don't what to give that out to people.

AC56U...current stock firmware

Wanted to try the cloud disk feature....but how do you set up guest user accounts....seems only account you can use to log in to it is the admin router account and password...i don't what to give that out to people.

AC56U...current stock firmware

You can't setup separate accounts yet.

You can't setup separate accounts yet.

really..what moron at asus didn't think to add that....derp....o well...

but it looks like it should...as in the setting page under network neighbor hood/cloud disk, you set accounts and permissions for that(Samba)...so it looks like they are tied together.

Last edited:
really..what moron at asus didn't think to add that....derp....o well...

but it looks like it should...as in the setting page under network neighbor hood/cloud disk, you set accounts and permissions for that(Samba)...so it looks like they are tied together.

I actually like the Asus way better. You send somebody a link that expires. That way you don't need to wonder if your guest is accessing your drive at all hours. Which is important when you're on a slow upload speed from your ISP (like I am). I don't have a lot of upload speed to share.

If your talking about local access, then check out the app "file browser" for iOS and android.

I actually like the Asus way better. You send somebody a link that expires. That way you don't need to wonder if your guest is accessing your drive at all hours. Which is important when you're on a slow upload speed from your ISP (like I am). I don't have a lot of upload speed to share.

If your talking about local access, then check out the app "file browser" for iOS and android.

I don't want to have to send people links....(I have tried that and the links I get don't work anyway....gives some file not found error page)

i just want to put stuff there and my friends browse and take what they want......I currently use a Windows Server 2012 Essentials system, which has Remote Web Access...I have separate accounts for each person...they go to web page, login and browse shared folders...and download...

I used to use a ftp server....but for whatever reason, people were not getting full download speed using ftp vs the https remote website access. witW ftp, they were lucky to get 1MB's off of the server..with the http site, they get my full 2.3MB's upload speed.

I am still confused as to why then in the router, under USB app-servers center-Network Place(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk...as this tab implies that the account control both the Samba AND Cloud disk access, since that is how it is labeled. However, it has nothing to do with Cloud Disk.

I hope ASUS develops this feature more and gives us the ability to create accounts, and be able to control normal or limited user access.. like being able to set permissions and to disable a limited account from seeing network device shares too.

Last edited:
My entire problem seems to have been solved with the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.374.33_0 . Im not sure exactly what the problem was but Im glad its working now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!