What's new

Asus Aimesh any good?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davelian

Occasional Visitor
Hi, people who used aimesh, how aimesh performed for you? What are your thought? Is Wifi signal good? Can you use guest network, parental control etc?

Thinking to buy ac66u b1 for aimesh with my current ac68u.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk

Hi, people who used aimesh, how aimesh performed for you? What are your thought? Is Wifi signal good? Can you use guest network, parental control etc?

Pros: Easy to use.
Cons: Unstable, Causing a lot of issues.

A 68U and 68P here (same router). Tried to get them to operate in AiMesh mode with no luck.
Went back to router/repeater mode with link on 5G.

My 2xRT-AC86U Aimesh works for me. WiFi signal is fine. Guest WLANs on router/root node only. No experience with Parental Controls.

Amazon.com US is selling the 86U for $155... $20 more than the 66U B1.

The 68U/66U B1 do not support Smart Connect node band steering, so plan to use separate SSIDs.

OE

i'm running 2 ac86u routers and one 68u router with a wired backhaul and i'm very happy with it. wireless performance is exellent and roaming between nods is good(could be better). the only complaint i have is guest networking not working on the nodes, is there a chance this will be available with a future firmware?

There is always a chance, but it is more likely that a new model will have that feature. :)

AiMesh roaming performance is horrible. The AP steering is buggy and there's no 802.11k/v/r support.

I wouldn't consider something without fast roaming to be a mesh WiFi.

I wouldn't consider something without fast roaming to be a mesh WiFi.

Roaming is not AP only dependent. Some clients may need adjustment so they don't stick to an AP.

Hi, i am using an RT-AX88U and a Lyra Mini (Node) in AiMesh. So far i am very happy with it. I haven't noticed any drops or issues and the hand off and roaming seem good, certainly better than the Google Wi-Fi i had previously tried. I have used both wired and wireless backhaul and both seem to work well and the signal and coverage etc seems very good. I am now even using Smart Connect which hasn't caused any issues either. Devices can connect to the Guest network on both AX88u and Lyra Mini so no issues there either.

. Devices can connect to the Guest network on both AX88u and Lyra Mini so no issues there either.

how? guest network works on the main router only.

Question for those who're using AIMESH and Roaming Block list under the wireless tab. If I go into the roaming block list and setup devices that I don't want to roam prior to setting up the aimesh nodes, does this mean those devices I setup prior to aimesh will remain connected to the main router vs a node(s)?

Question for those who're using AIMESH and Roaming Block list under the wireless tab. If I go into the roaming block list and setup devices that I don't want to roam prior to setting up the aimesh nodes, does this mean those devices I setup prior to aimesh will remain connected to the main router vs a node(s)?

I have not tried it, but it would appear that you configure wireless clients to not roam from where they are currently connected. If so, move them close to their preferred node to connect and then block them from roaming. I'd try to prove that.

OE

Does anyone know when or if ASUS will allow us to get the 2nd 5ghz band back when using Cat6 as the backhaul instead of wifi? I just wired my house and connected all of my core hardware including my AX11000 and AC5300 together via Cat6 and would be awesome to have all 3 bands available

I have 3 AC3100's using AiMesh no roaming assistant, guest network, no roam blocking or parental control. We have 2 Roku TV's (one is on Ethernet backhaul) and a Roku 1080p stick. When my son was here he had a Firestick and a Xbox as well. There were 4 smartphones too. The mesh handled everything without issue. No drops, lags or crashes ever. Now we're empty nesters again so the mesh is more than adequate. Perhaps having the same hardware helps.

PS: I have been using Asus stock firmware but have been meaning to go back to Merlin now that AiMesh is supported.

Two Asus AC-68U's here. AIMesh was terrible (constant drop outs) when it was pure wireless and I dropped the config several months ago. About 2 weeks ago I added a wired Ethernet backhaul and gave AiMesh a shot again and so far so good with no drop outs at all and full roaming performance!

Two Asus AC-68U's here. AIMesh was terrible (constant drop outs) when it was pure wireless and I dropped the config several months ago. About 2 weeks ago I added a wired Ethernet backhaul and gave AiMesh a shot again and so far so good with no drop outs at all and full roaming performance!

I find the wireless backhaul infuriatingly unstable, - even at -60dB to -65dB. Doesn't work well for streaming. I'm about to run ethernet temporarily just to prove it is just a wireless fault, but I'm ready to junk 3 of these after six months of "optimizing".

Just echoing here but my AiMesh probs went away after moving from wireless to ethernet backhaul. Extremely stable since doing so.

Just echoing here but my AiMesh probs went away after moving from wireless to ethernet backhaul. Extremely stable since doing so.

I just want my 2nd 5ghz bands back on my AX11000 and AC5300 while using ethernet backhaul. I swapped my AC5300 to AP to enable the 2nd band. It's better for the most part, but still not the same.