What's new

Asus Aimesh invalid ip addresses

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oscarracso

New Around Here
Hi Everyone,

I am new to Aimesh. Im Dutch, and i have a Kpn dsl connection. I need to use the modem/router that Kpn provides as tv depends on it. So i installed one rt-ac88 to a port of the kpn modem/router and set it up as a access point, automatic ip. Wifi from the kpn router is off. The next rt-ac88 i setup as a aimesh node to the first one. The connecting to each other works fine. I have the newest firmware on both. Here comes the problem: On some devices, i.e. laptops it works. On some iphones of us too. But on some iphones or ipads it doesnt work. I dont get internet on them, or one page seems to work but 99,8% doesnt. Now when i check the ip adresss of such a device that doesnt work they have received a 169.254.1.234 address. Offcourse that doesnt work as our ip range has 192.168.2.x
All the iphones/devices have the newest software on them. There are also samsung devices in the network and they experience the same problem. Personally i think it has to do that the base aimesh asus router isnt connected to the wan port and it confuses the aimesh setup, but thats only a guess. Any advice would be appreciated.

Make sure your AP is connected to the ISP router through the WAN port.

Update; still 169.* ip addresses in my network.. if anyone has a suggestion.. I checked the dhcp server and it has more then enough room to address ip addresses..

thanks for your reply. I was thinking the same thing so i checked everything but i dont have a device or software that acts as a dhcp server. Also the ip addresses are in an invalid range 169 not a 172/192 or 10 range

Don't setup the first as an AP. Set it up as an Wireless router mode / AiMesh Router mode (Default). (different IP range) Connect your tv to the KPN modem/router. The tv is on a separate network but your wifi/internet will work this way. If this is a problem to you? Then configure vlan or DMZ or set your KPN in bridge mode.

Last edited:
thanks for your reply. I was thinking the same thing so i checked everything but i dont have a device or software that acts as a dhcp server. Also the ip addresses are in an invalid range 169 not a 172/192 or 10 range
I seem to remember getting a 169 IP on devices when they couldn't communicate with a DHCP server. So, I'd get an No Internet Connection error and when I looked I'd see it was using some odd IP.
So I think this may be a symptom of some other problem. First I'd take the phone it doesn't work on, and delete the network (SSID). Then scan and set it up again - entering the password.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!