What's new

Asus AIMesh Newb

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

uk-chris

Occasional Visitor
Hello! Very new to the world of Asus and would very much appreciate some guidance, it seems what I thought would be easy may not be!

I'm looking to run AI Mesh, I have three AC86U routers, my plan is... ideally...

Main router on the main (first) floor connected to XFinity router. Ethernet to a small switch in the basement, a second 86U connected via the switch in the basement and another via ethernet in my attic, so, two wired AIMesh nodes connected via a switch - is that okay?

Now, a little deeper, with all three routers together I seemed to have no problem setting up AIMesh, ethernet cable, search, bingo, it seems though that after a few weeks the nodes quit on me. By quit well, they seem completely unresponsive, can't even seem to get them to factory reset (reset button for five seconds, power up with WPS button pressed - nothing seems to work).

So... any advice? As of now I'm say next to one of the nodes, I have a red light and two solid whites, main router cannot find it, the other ode is the same. Am I not reseting them correctly? Biggest question maybe... Merlin - alternate firmware? Is that where I should be heading?

Much appreciate any help!

Chris.

Hello! Very new to the world of Asus and would very much appreciate some guidance, it seems what I thought would be easy may not be!

I'm looking to run AI Mesh, I have three AC86U routers, my plan is... ideally...

Main router on the main (first) floor connected to XFinity router. Ethernet to a small switch in the basement, a second 86U connected via the switch in the basement and another via ethernet in my attic, so, two wired AIMesh nodes connected via a switch - is that okay?

Now, a little deeper, with all three routers together I seemed to have no problem setting up AIMesh, ethernet cable, search, bingo, it seems though that after a few weeks the nodes quit on me. By quit well, they seem completely unresponsive, can't even seem to get them to factory reset (reset button for five seconds, power up with WPS button pressed - nothing seems to work).

So... any advice? As of now I'm say next to one of the nodes, I have a red light and two solid whites, main router cannot find it, the other ode is the same. Am I not reseting them correctly? Biggest question maybe... Merlin - alternate firmware? Is that where I should be heading?

Much appreciate any help!

Chris.

So, XFinity router is the site router...

Are you connecting the XFinity site router LAN to one 86U WAN (the AiMesh router in AP mode); and connecting that 86U's LANs to the remaining two 86U WANs (AiMesh nodes)?

If necessary, configure node connection priority to force using a wired backhaul/Ethernet (required with some LAN switches that defeat Auto sensing of connection type).

OE

So, XFinity router is the site router...

Are you connecting the XFinity site router LAN to one 86U WAN (the AiMesh router in AP mode); and connecting that 86U's LANs to the remaining two 86U WANs (AiMesh nodes)?

If necessary, configure node connection priority to force using a wired backhaul/Ethernet (required with some LAN switches that defeat Auto sensing of connection type).

OE

Yes, I have the WAN port of the primary 86U connected to the Xfinity router, since posting I have installed Merlin on all three, configured the primary which seems to be working great, now though it will not detect either of the other two (flashed to the same Merlin build) as AIMesh nodes.

Yes, I have the WAN port of the primary 86U connected to the Xfinity router, since posting I have installed Merlin on all three, configured the primary which seems to be working great, now though it will not detect either of the other two (flashed to the same Merlin build) as AIMesh nodes.
If you tired to configure them (nodes), stop, reset to factory default values. Try searching again. * This includes setting user name password etc. The setup process will auto define them as nodes during the pairing.
If your trying wirelessly bring them within 10' or so of each other. If ethernet then make sure the cable is plugged into the WAN port on the node.
If you haven't seen the instructions then here goes ;) https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035087/ and https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035140/ Just throwing them out there incase you missed a step etc. I have done it enough myself, the missed step... :(

If you tired to configure them (nodes), stop, reset to factory default values. Try searching again. * This includes setting user name password etc. The setup process will auto define them as nodes during the pairing.
If your trying wirelessly bring them within 10' or so of each other. If ethernet then make sure the cable is plugged into the WAN port on the node.
If you haven't seen the instructions then here goes ;) https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035087/

Thanks Husky, I have been through this a few times, now trying with Merlin. I flashed Merlin on to all three routers so I assume they are "factory default". Powered one up, connected via ethernet, defined it as my wifi network etc, connected the uplink to my Xfinity box - voila, I have wifi working. Now however it is hit and miss whether the AiMesh icon shows up in the admin page - and if it does if I see a node during a search (just powered on the node in the state it was in post-flash, is that correct?)

So, the primary 86U is in AP mode?

And, the other two 86U WAN are connected to the primary 86U LAN?

You need to perform a factory default reset after installing the firmware.

The nodes must be reset and not configured, just added.

Merlin firmware probably won't address the issue, so won't make a difference. If you use Merlin firmware, you only need to install it on the primary 86U; the nodes can run stock firmware.

OE

Yeah just uploading a clean copy is generally ok, However I always default it again after updating, call me weird but its my routine. Makes sure to throw away any gremlins left over during development.

The first one sounds right. One question did you flash Merlin over stock on the Main router ? If so I would default it and start over again. Especially if you have jumped a version or two.

I usually power up the node and wait a few minutes for it to settle down and then search for it. If I do it sooner it seems to fail for me. Click the mesh icon, and then click search.

One interesting thing I have noticed again my personal experience if you start to setup a node and the process indicator goes slowly from 1-99 its likely going to fail. Again at least in my experience.

I usually see bursts of speed slow at first till like 40-50% and then it usually goes fast.

So, the primary 86U is in AP mode?

And, the other two 86U WAN are connected to the primary 86U LAN?

You need to perform a factory default reset after installing the firmware.

The nodes are to be reset and not configured, just added.

Merlin firmware probably won't address the issue, so won't make a difference. If you use Merlin firmware, you only need to install it on the primary 86U; the nodes can run stock firmware.

OE

Router 1 - 86U - Merlin Firmware - Router Mode, connected to XFi WAN, operating as wireless network etc, web GUI does not show AiMesh, Web GUI shows "Powered by Asuswrt-Merlin" v384.13

Router 2 - 86U - Merlin Firmware (now realize this wasn't necessary) - eth uplink connected to Router 1 LAN port.

Router 3 - 86U - Merlin Firmware (now realize this wasn't necessary) - Not connected or powered on as yet.

So...
a) should I aim to revert the nodes to standard firmware?
b) Is there some reason AiMesh doesn't show up in the web GUI?
c) AiMesh did show once... but still wouldn't discover my node(s)

You can use Merlin on them its ok, probably little benefit but you can. I have it on my nodes. :)

Just make sure Router 2 has its cable plugged into its WAN port.

Can you clarify, if you downloaded 384.13 ? Earlier versions do not support mesh. I once downloaded the wrong version, :( I see you said 384.13 but it took me about an hours to realize I was being silly.

edit .. If your seeing it in the GUI then yes you should be ok.

@OzarkEdge IMO is the goto on the 86.

Router 1 - 86U - Merlin Firmware - Router Mode, connected to XFi WAN, operating as wireless network etc, web GUI does not show AiMesh, Web GUI shows "Powered by Asuswrt-Merlin" v384.13

Router 2 - 86U - Merlin Firmware (now realize this wasn't necessary) - eth uplink connected to Router 1 LAN port.

Router 3 - 86U - Merlin Firmware (now realize this wasn't necessary) - Not connected or powered on as yet.

So...
a) should I aim to revert the nodes to standard firmware?
b) Is there some reason AiMesh doesn't show up in the web GUI?
c) AiMesh did show once... but still wouldn't discover my node(s)

You need to take one step forward at a time. :)

Since the XFi is the site router, yes?, then the primary 86U should be in AP mode and its WAN should connect to an XFi LAN jack, yes? Omit any switches until setup is working.

But first, the primary 86U is not healthy if it is not displaying AiMesh functionality. Reset it and install firmware (stock is fine unless you want Merlin features) and then reset it again to get factory defaults. Both radios should be working and AiMesh should display on its webUI. Solve this before moving forward.

OE

You need to take one step forward at a time. :)

Since the XFi is the site router, yes?, then the primary 86U should be in AP mode and its WAN should connect to an XFi LAN jack, yes? Omit any switches until setup is working.

But first, the primary 86U is not healthy if it is not displaying AiMesh functionality. Reset it and install firmware (stock is fine unless you want Merlin features) and then reset it again to get factory defaults. Both radios should be working and AiMesh should display on its webUI. Solve this before moving forward.

OE

The XFi provides wifi and wired ethernet, my plan is to use just the wired ethernet (once the AiMesh is working) so I was thinking 86U #1 needs to be in Router mode, if I look to change to AP mode it says it will connect to another wifi router via ethernet to extend the reach - I intended to shut off XFi wifi and use only Asus.

I'm no expert but I suspect the 5.0GHz radio isn't working, in the web GUI the wireless icon shows (left) half green and the right half off. I was in "Smart Connect" but have also tried configuring each band individually. Maybe I should reset this router and try one of the others as the master.

I flipped from the router I had been trying as primary to one of the others, reset to factory, created it with an all new network name and, so far so good, it seems to have discovered a node and is setting it up. I have not introduced the network switch yet, as you have said, one step at a time!

As of now I have a master router and one node running (connected via in-wall ethernet and a switch to my basement). The second AiMesh node - not so great - I have reset it, reflashed it, just did a reset and I have only one light for the connected ethernet port I am on, I know it did work about a month ago but not sure what else to try with this specific 86U.

How easy is it to flash it back to Asus firmware? Is it readily available?

Flashed back to Asus FW, no dice, restart/reset leaves me with no lights except for the lan port I am connected to :(

The XFi provides wifi and wired ethernet, my plan is to use just the wired ethernet (once the AiMesh is working) so I was thinking 86U #1 needs to be in Router mode, if I look to change to AP mode it says it will connect to another wifi router via ethernet to extend the reach - I intended to shut off XFi wifi and use only Asus.

I'm no expert but I suspect the 5.0GHz radio isn't working, in the web GUI the wireless icon shows (left) half green and the right half off. I was in "Smart Connect" but have also tried configuring each band individually. Maybe I should reset this router and try one of the others as the master.

You should only setup with one router. If the XFi is your router/firewall/dhcp server, then the AiMesh starts with the 86U in AP mode.

Reset the primary 86U as previously noted first step to see what you have. If it comes up looking healthy, use it. If not, set it aside to debug later.

OE

Thanks OE, it now seems I have two good routers and one problematic one. I have a router running great, one AiMesh node running, my third router is unhappy. When powered on I have no lights except for the connected lan port (eth to my mac). I have flashed it to Asus firmware, flashed to Merlin, no difference - unless I have it stuck in recovery mode or something?

Flashed back to Asus FW, no dice, restart/reset leaves me with no lights except for the lan port I am connected to :(

Could try toggling the WiFi switch. If no radio, then RMA(?).

OE

Thanks OE, it now seems I have two good routers and one problematic one. I have a router running great, one AiMesh node running, my third router is unhappy. When powered on I have no lights except for the connected lan port (eth to my mac). I have flashed it to Asus firmware, flashed to Merlin, no difference - unless I have it stuck in recovery mode or something?

Maybe you can get by with just two 86Us and some strategic antenna aiming. They have good range. The attic install could be troublesome if it is in an unfinished space... hot and inaccessible(?).

OE

Could try toggling the WiFi switch. If no radio, then RMA(?).

OE

*feeling stupid* - Didn't realize there was a wifi on/off switch *lol*

So, turned wifi on, still isn't finding it as a node but I'll try the same steps again and see :)

I have just finished my attic as a home theater, ran ethernet cable between all floors so I can run wired and wireless for streaming as needed. If this router is kaput I'll put the basement one up there for now and see how that works and see if I can RMA the problem one.

Thank you all so much for your help and keeping me sane..!