What's new

Asus Aimesh system gives full speed only on TUESDAYS (yes really)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zipu

New Around Here
I know a few fancy networking words, but in general i am pretty inexperienced, so you guys might have to explain your solutions more thoroughly to me.

I have gigabit fiber coming to my house, and fully wired it ALWAYS gives me near full speed.

But i have noticed a problem. Ive got an asus aimesh system (2 AC66U B1, 1 AC68U). It was perfect for a week or so (max speed around 450mbps). Then its started to slow down to 250mbps on the wifi even on modern devices (i know cry me a river).

Then tuesday came around and i got 450mbps again. Then almost perfectly past midnight it plummeted back to 250. This loop has happened 3 times already, since i bought 2 of the routers on black friday.

I have the newest firmware on all of them, and I cannot downgrade it since the latest one gave support for wired backhaul on aimesh.

Looking at other posts, the problem seems to be with hardware acceleration in the routers. Apparently QoS has disabled the routers hardware acceleration. Ive done basically anything you can with the QoS issue, disabled it and reset all of the nodes multiple times.

one crazy idea i had is to use an NTP server that is always stuck on a tuesday, but nobody probably has something like that running.

does anyone have any idea how to get the hardware acceleration running on other days too lol

Im willing to use really any firmware if it supports wired backhaul for AiMesh.

Thank you

welcome, fellow redditor ;-D

Yes, Merlin firmware supports wired AiMesh backhaul (on v386,,,which is in beta right now here, but I suspect you might be running the current factory version, so you're covered) but I suspect your issue is settings/scheduler related...or you've found a bug that needs to go to Asus for their investigation/resolution.
I'm hoping someone much more knowlegable than I sees this and walks you through troubleshooting it.

If you are using Asus 384_40558 the QOS does not turn off Nat Acceleration. on the AC66U_B1 or AC68U. Merlin 386.1 beta2, which is the latest almost release, does not seem to play with Nat Acceleration.
Are you using Manusl speed settings on Adaptive QOS? If not you should. 95% of your upload and download speed.

I'm using Merlin 384.19 Main router Rt-Ac86u---Rt-Ac68u---Rt-Ac68u---Rt-Ac68u...AiMesh and backhaul with 3 trendnet powerline devices. I also have 3 more trendnet powerline devices connecting computers in other rooms.
While I don't have anywhere near the Internet speed you have, everything is working well ( slightly slow in some areas ).
I started with stock firmware that wasn't cutting it w/constant internet dropping. When I switched to Merlin there has been a big improvement. I followed setting advise from the great contributors here that have AiMesh installed.
I'm looking forward to the recent Beta becoming final, but not prepared to mess with a good thing at the moment.

Hang in there you'll eventually get the Internet experience that you want!

I know a few fancy networking words, but in general i am pretty inexperienced, so you guys might have to explain your solutions more thoroughly to me.

I have gigabit fiber coming to my house, and fully wired it ALWAYS gives me near full speed.

But i have noticed a problem. Ive got an asus aimesh system (2 AC66U B1, 1 AC68U). It was perfect for a week or so (max speed around 450mbps). Then its started to slow down to 250mbps on the wifi even on modern devices (i know cry me a river).

Then tuesday came around and i got 450mbps again. Then almost perfectly past midnight it plummeted back to 250. This loop has happened 3 times already, since i bought 2 of the routers on black friday.

I have the newest firmware on all of them, and I cannot downgrade it since the latest one gave support for wired backhaul on aimesh.

Looking at other posts, the problem seems to be with hardware acceleration in the routers. Apparently QoS has disabled the routers hardware acceleration. Ive done basically anything you can with the QoS issue, disabled it and reset all of the nodes multiple times.

one crazy idea i had is to use an NTP server that is always stuck on a tuesday, but nobody probably has something like that running.

does anyone have any idea how to get the hardware acceleration running on other days too lol

Im willing to use really any firmware if it supports wired backhaul for AiMesh.

Thank you
So your neighbor is using your wifi, but he hits the bar on tuesday nights? :)

All versions of AIMesh have wired backhaul support, am I missing something here?

I'm using Merlin 384.19 Main router Rt-Ac86u---Rt-Ac68u---Rt-Ac68u---Rt-Ac68u...AiMesh and backhaul with 3 trendnet powerline devices. I also have 3 more trendnet powerline devices connecting computers in other rooms.
While I don't have anywhere near the Internet speed you have, everything is working well ( slightly slow in some areas ).
I started with stock firmware that wasn't cutting it w/constant internet dropping. When I switched to Merlin there has been a big improvement. I followed setting advise from the great contributors here that have AiMesh installed.
I'm looking forward to the recent Beta becoming final, but not prepared to mess with a good thing at the moment.

Hang in there you'll eventually get the Internet experience that you want!

Oh, i didnt see this message, a lot has happened.

i tried multiple versions of the merlin firmware, but none of them fixed the issue, so i returned to the stock one. Tuesday didnt give me full speeds after this mess.

For unrelated reasons, on last thursday i set up dual wan in fallback mode, and because of that, the speed jumped up to 450.

It has worked great from that point, but today on thursday webpages loaded slowly and the speeds went back to 250...

It seems like the router connection is now worse everywhere, for instance, the sauna (2 rooms away) normal speeds: 300, now with the speed capped at 250: 150.

Its not a hard cap, its almost like the router broadcasts with lower power.

so i guess the speeds are good on all days BUT tuesday... which is 6x better than before i guess...

I really don't want to be the one who explains "see you next tuesday"...:eek:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!