What's new

Asus Alexa Guest Control

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SteveM

Occasional Visitor
Would anyone know how Alexa or the Router chooses the SSIDs when enabling the third guest network by Alexa voice command.

Is there some config file with these details in or does Amazon tell the Router what to use?

As per the webui, it uses Guest Network 3, so that must be hardcoded in the Alexa implementation.

1616349116733.png

I get that.

But if I change the settings the SSID and PSK change when enabled.

I need to know how this is controlled.

So for clarity - I can ask Alexa to start the Guest Network.

The Guest network starts with an SSID of something like ASUS_Guest3

I can then change the SSID in the Web UI to MY_Guest.

However, the next time Alexa starts the Guest Network the SSID is again ASUS_Guest3.

Do you think that SSID is hard coded in the application - Actually I've just thought - I could do a strings on aaews and see if its got any of that hard coded.

Just done that - Nothing obvious in terms of hard coding or location of config files - I'm guessing Amazon must send the SSID & PSK data to the aaews app.

Last edited:
Do you think that SSID is hard coded in the application
I don't know, and quite frankly personally I don't devote any development time to anything related to the IFTTT implementation, as to me it's mostly a major security hole. A security device such as a router should not be remotely manageable by a third party of any sort.

I don't know, and quite frankly personally I don't devote any development time to anything related to the IFTTT implementation, as to me it's mostly a major security hole. A security device such as a router should not be remotely manageable by a third party of any sort.

Fair enough - each to their own.

I'll get round round to tcpdump-ing the network and find out exactly what's been communicated between Amazon and aaews.

But you mentioning IFTTT has given me an idea of where to go digging.