What's new

Asus and a Virgin Superhub2 config?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mannp

Occasional Visitor
I've been happily using merlin for some time with a successful openvpn setup and have recently upgraded to 60meg virgin broadband (uk)

This means that I have a new superhub2 wifi router.

I'm trying (aside from my gui issue in another thread :( ) to get the asus setup as well as the superhub2 both in wifi router mode.

I am thinking SH2 at 192.168.1.1, with the asus as a fixed wan at 192.168.1.2, with its lan at 192.168.1.3 with the SH2 DMZ set at 192.168.1.2

My thought process is that the asus will sit in the DMZ and I wont have double NAT'ing issues relating to two routers in series? :rolleyes:

Apologies for any incorrect terminology, but hopefully you can see what I am trying to achieve.

Is it a good idea, or not?

Thanks in advance.

just stick the superhub2 in modem mode, job done :)

Trouble is I need the 4 lan ports on the SH2 for fixed lan to the living room, while the ASUS will go to another room via fixed link to extend the WIFI for some troublesome IP cameras, that always lose connection.

If I put the SH2 into modem mode, those lan ports cannot be used :(

Bad idea. Just put the Superhub into modem mode and use the Asus as a router. It will make your life much easier.

IIRC, people tried the DMZ trick with the SH1 before it had modem mode, and it's still double-natting.

Trouble is I need the 4 lan ports on the SH2 for fixed lan to the living room, while the ASUS will go to another room via fixed link to extend the WIFI for some troublesome IP cameras, that always lose connection.

If I put the SH2 into modem mode, those lan ports cannot be used :(

Try it anyway. You may find the Asus is so much better for wireless than the Superhub that your IP cameras no longer drop the connection.

Try it anyway. You may find the Asus is so much better for wireless than the Superhub that your IP cameras no longer drop the connection.
Thanks for the help.

I was hoping the Superhub2 was better then the Superhub which I understand had many issues.

Where I will put the ASUS now with my new setup, if it works, will give me line of sight to the troublesome camera, so it should be perfect :)

The ASUS is a far better signal for sure, but it still used to drop out occasionally.

I was really checking my theory was correct, that it 'should' work with the ASUS as the DMZ for the SH2.

Thanks for the help.
I was hoping the Superhub2 was better then the Superhub which I understand had many issues.

The Superhub has a had couple of years to get its issues worked out (though it still has plenty of them and some are due to hardware limitations).

The SH2 is new and has plenty of new issues of its own. Unfortunately it's not some kind of panacea for the SH1 issues.

Thanks for the help.

Where I will put the ASUS now with my new setup, if it works, will give me line of sight to the troublesome camera, so it should be perfect :)

The ASUS is a far better signal for sure, but it still used to drop out occasionally.

I was really checking my theory was correct, that it 'should' work with the ASUS as the DMZ for the SH2.

It probably will work if you put the Asus IP address at 192.168.2.1
The way you have it set up with IP address of 192.168.1.2 won't work. You're treating the Asus as if it was a computer instead of a NAT router. ;)

Thanks both.

@jlake; Using 192.168.2.1, will the devices connected to the SH2 on 192.168.1.x be able to see the devices on 192.168.2.x?

Thanks

from what I can gather, set the asus to AP mode then, solves the issues plus you get lan and wifi on it, basically all you need ?

Thanks both.

@jlake; Using 192.168.2.1, will the devices connected to the SH2 on 192.168.1.x be able to see the devices on 192.168.2.x?

Thanks

No. Clients on 192.168.1.1 won't be able to share files with clients on 192.168.2.1 and vice-versa.

I was under the impression that you just had some IP cameras on the Asus. If that's the case, then you can use double router port forwarding as described in link below.

My modem is a router too, and I have played around with all the options including DMZ, but I ended up doing like the others have suggested and put the modem/router in to bridged mode. I guess if I were in your shoes and badly needed those 4 ports, I would just run a 4 port switch back to that location.

There's probably always going to be some sacrifice by putting your modem/router in to bridged mode. In my case, my modem/router had a nice firewall that obviously I lost once it was in bridged mode. But the gains of bridged mode and using the asus as the lone router on my network, outweighed the loss of that fancy firewall.

http://portforward.com/help/doublerouterportforwarding.htm

Last edited:
The SH2 is new and has plenty of new issues of its own. Unfortunately it's not some kind of panacea for the SH1 issues.
I'm one of the trialists for the SH2, and the latest firmware release that we have has fixed most of the issues prevalent in V19 - it just needs VM to decide when to release it to a wider audience now. :)

Does the DMZ work within the current firmware, as I preferred my ASUS to front my internet connection and so put the SH2 into modem mode for now.

Thanks for the pointers all :)

Will give it another try when I have more time for some reading, so I would feel comfortable that I have any security holes covered with dual wifi routers.