What's new

Asus antenna upgrade (single center solution). WL-ANT157

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

njweb

I purchased one Asus dual band directional WL-ANT157 antenna to replace the center stock antenna on my RT-AC66U.

Reading reviews it seemed users had good luck with just upgrading the center antenna (perhaps because the antenna is directional). In my case I might actually pick the outer antenna since my router is in a corner room due to my PC being in that room (home office room).

My goal is to see if 5 GHz performance improves slightly since I am not impressed with it relative to the 5 GHz performance of my N66U (which I recently sold, so I could not go back to it even if I wanted to).

Has anyone else bought this for their AC66U?

Last edited:
yep - I got one of these as well. To be honest I was trying to use it to reach a far corner of the house due to a poor signal, but its getting very difficult to tell if it makes a difference or note. I was using the 270 build and the radios were dropping off very badly until I rebooted. I've moved onto the 354 beta build from Merlin and its still got problems, but my 5Ghz seems to be stable now.

In short - yes, I have one - but no, I can't tell if it makes the slightest difference because of the variability in the radios at the moment.

Your theory is right though - if your router is 'end-on' to the space then you should be able to replace the omni-directional one with the ANT157 and sacrifice some radial coverage for a better directed range.

yep - I got one of these as well. To be honest I was trying to use it to reach a far corner of the house due to a poor signal, but its getting very difficult to tell if it makes a difference or note. I was using the 270 build and the radios were dropping off very badly until I rebooted. I've moved onto the 354 beta build from Merlin and its still got problems, but my 5Ghz seems to be stable now.

In short - yes, I have one - but no, I can't tell if it makes the slightest difference because of the variability in the radios at the moment.

Your theory is right though - if your router is 'end-on' to the space then you should be able to replace the omni-directional one with the ANT157 and sacrifice some radial coverage for a better directed range.

Thanks, exactly the feedback I was looking for.
I may replace the antenna closest to the wall in my corner room with the WL-ANT157.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!