What's new

Asus Auto Update Experiences

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Considering how some updates in the past have rendered my router crippled I keep auto update set to off.

Which router model with what firmware does offer Automatic Firmware upgrades?
Honestly it is a devilish choice to like or dislike automatic upgrades.

To my very honest opinion, the far majority of routers never get firmware updates because their owner has no clue the firmware requires some maintenance. These routers are often connected and setup by a willing neighbor or nephew, left behind the couch and forgotten. All they may get is a reset now and then to overcome malfunction. For those users a trouble free automatic firmware upgrade would be the best.
In addition I believe those users do not bother about the fancy additional features, all they want is trouble free wireless Internet in their home.

For the minority of router owners who do visit a forum like this and who have some knowledge of routers and networking, there should always be an option for non automatic firmware updates.
Thanks for this sensible reply to a really good question. I had just turned auto updates on (RT-AC86U) but decided against it after reading this page. As an alternative, I am going to try to get email notifications when there are updates. Otherwise, I'll just set a recurring notification for myself.

I had moved the slider over for Auto Firmware Upgrade, but I got the hebe jebe's and did the search that led me here before saving the change. I'm guessing I dodged a bullet because it still shows off. The Router never did auto upgrades before today. I'm currently at Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.386_48260.

My ax88u router auto firmware upgrade is not working. I am not using any scripts, usb drives, AiProtection, QS and so on. Just a very standard router functions and wifi APs.
Can you confirm if its working on your router?

My ax88u router auto firmware upgrade is not working. I am not using any scripts, usb drives, AiProtection, QS and so on. Just a very standard router functions and wifi APs.
Can you confirm if its working on your router?
What firmware version are you running? If it is very old auto upgrade may not work.

Current Version 3.0.0.4.388.20518
Previous Version 3.0.0.4.388.20499
Previous Version 3.0.0.4.386.49674

Current Version 3.0.0.4.388.20518
Previous Version 3.0.0.4.388.20499
Previous Version 3.0.0.4.386.49674
Good!
Several have reported that their AX88U's auto upgraded from 386.49674 to 388.20499 then 388.20518. Yours should have if auto upgrade was enabled. Might be a good idea to change the upgrade time. If a lot of routers try to upgrade at 0200 some may fail to connect. I'm still waiting for the next 388 version for the AX86U even though the beta (9.0.0.4.388_20477) works well for me.

Auto updates are often pushed in waves to avoid overloading servers or in case of a major issue.

2.5 days and still no update. Just remove the option to retrieve beta firmware and change the time.
Idk what else to try.

I just want to make one thing clear: If I keep Auto Firmware Upgrade OFF, will Asus router ever upgrade to a newer firmware? I would like to leave an RT-AC66U B1 router in another country for my own VPN tunnel to local ISP and I don't want any changes to it until I come and update it manually, eventually. Thank you!

1663309440880.png

RMerlin firmware, no worries. You'll get what you set.

Stock Asus, no guarantees. You'll get what you get.

I just want to make one thing clear: If I keep Auto Firmware Upgrade OFF, will Asus router ever upgrade to a newer firmware? I would like to leave an RT-AC66U B1 router in another country for my own VPN tunnel to local ISP and I don't want any changes to it until I come and update it manually, eventually. Thank you!

View attachment 44228
Off should mean off and not maybe. I had a couple of AC68U's, and AC86U and AC66U_B1 in small offices that I had set to off and they behaved themselves and waited for me to do the upgrades.

Okay, I have it running already on Asuswrt 49703 and hopefully it stays this way. Thank you.

Off should mean off and not maybe. I had a couple of AC68U's, and AC86U and AC66U_B1 in small offices that I had set to off and they behaved themselves and waited for me to do the upgrades.

I had a remote AC68U auto update from Asuswrt that did not yet have the Auto Firmware Upgrade setting in the webUI.

OE