What's new

Asus AX router recommendation for friend.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sorry, a little bit off topic, but would someone be considered at least a little bit crazy, if trying to buy only Merlin supported routers? :)

Sorry, a little bit off topic, but would someone be considered at least a little bit crazy, if trying to buy only Merlin supported routers? :)
I bought XT8 when it was very new, and I didn't know if it was going to be supported. In fact, I don't care much. I'm ok with official.

I bought XT8 when it was very new, and I didn't know if it was going to be supported. In fact, I don't care much. I'm ok with official.
Well, you were lucky then.
I was thinking of myself being crazy looking to buy a router only if has Merlin support lol.

Well, you were lucky then.
I was thinking of myself being crazy looking to buy a router only if has Merlin support lol.
The list is easily found in amazon and other online shops:

But I'm ok with XT8, despite some problems with latest firms. Now I have just bought an AX55 to expand the network. It is very cheap, about 90 €. This weekend I'm going to enjoy :)

Another vote for the AX86U. A really good choice and has 4x4 radios so can provide gigabit WiFi.

It's worth noting though that your devices have to support 4x4 and many don't. But it's a good way of future proofing his setup.

I have attached 5 wired devices to the AX55 and put it in bridge mode towards my XT8. In this mode you can use de WAN port as another port for a device. I get the max bandwith it can support, 1200 mbps in AX mode. It is really perfect. I have a gigabit wlan.

I have attached 5 wired devices to the AX55 and put it in bridge mode towards my XT8. In this mode you can use de WAN port as another port for a device. I get the max bandwith it can support, 1200 mbps in AX mode. It is really perfect. I have a gigabit wlan.
Nice job.

Off-topic (although on-subject) but every time this topic shows up in my list with unread topic, I hear something like

'Oh no, it's not for me, I'm just asking for a friend'

in the back of my head. Anyone else, or am I really losing it? I knew it was coming, but didn't expect it to be so soon.

:rolleyes:

But everyone that I've introduced to RMerlin firmware is a believer.

Ive bought AX-55 (its under 150$, ive got mine for about ~100) and im happy about this one. Working fine, have nice features (its working full speed for 1gb/s on ethernet cable, on Wifi 6 (5ghz) my Samsung S10 splits around 750 mbps in ooklaa speedtest). Only flaw is zero USB on this one, but if your friend can live without it its working really well

PS. Ive got bridge connected to this router (Tplink switch on 2.6 Ghz) and working just fine
I have it less than 1 week. Coverage and stability for small flat is OK. However, RAM/ROM(256/128) wise, there will be capacity issues if you enable all the out of the box features, like AI Protection and Instant Guard VPN together. May be they will optimize something in the next firmware, who knows.

Is he aware the AX86U actually talks as well?

Well mine does, It has a similar voice to google and alexa. I hear it, not sure if it's in my head or real, it says things, like "install new Merlin", "dust me", "add more addons with amtm", "I love you breakingdad"