What's new

Asus AX Router Recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sohaib Sarwar

Occasional Visitor
In market for ASUS AX router. I have a 4000 sq house and trying to see if any ax router will cover that much and still have stability. I am currently using AC86U.

The RT-AX88U running RMerlin firmware 384.19_0 is a suitable candidate if you have 'normal' walls and floors (not concrete/brick/stone, etc.).

I would buy two RT-AX88U's, set one up in as central a location as you can (central to the most used WiFi clients that is) and if more range/throughput is needed, only then open up the second box and add it as either a wired AiMesh node or as a simple AP instead.

RT-AC3100 Report https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

RT-AX88U Upgrade https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...ta-is-now-available.60037/page-31#post-531024

The RT-AX88U running RMerlin firmware 384.19_0 is a suitable candidate if you have 'normal' walls and floors (not concrete/brick/stone, etc.).

I would buy two RT-AX88U's, set one up in as central a location as you can (central to the most used WiFi clients that is) and if more range/throughput is needed, only then open up the second box and add it as either a wired AiMesh node or as a simple AP instead.

RT-AC3100 Report https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

RT-AX88U Upgrade https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...ta-is-now-available.60037/page-31#post-531024

My existing AC86U drops 5ghz signal time to time when Trend Micr is enabled. Any issue like that with AX88U? Also, do you recommend this over AX86U?

Thanks

As long as the RT-AX86U isn't RMerlin supported, the RT-AX88U is superior. No 5GHz signal drops on my RT-AX88U.

As long as the RT-AX86U isn't RMerlin supported, the RT-AX88U is superior. No 5GHz signal drops on my RT-AX88U.

If I were to make AX88U my primary router and AC86U my AP (hardwired), SSID (smart connect) should be same ? If so, what channel should I be setting them to? Currently, I have two AC86U and each has its own SSID for 2.4g and 5g. I have the channel manual setup because of to much clutter of WiFi around my house. Thanks in advance

I think you are pushing it for 4000 sq ft. Count the number of walls your signal needs to go through. I think one AP on each end of the house will work better. This way you get better yard coverage and roaming.

I think you are pushing it for 4000 sq ft. Count the number of walls your signal needs to go through. I think one AP on each end of the house will work better. This way you get better yard coverage and roaming.

My question is about setup AP and using smart connect feature. I just like to know what channel should I keep the AP on ?

Which has a stronger 2.4Ghz radio (through concrete walls). the RT-AX86U or the RT-AX88U?

Which has a stronger 2.4Ghz radio (through concrete walls). the RT-AX86U or the RT-AX88U?

No way to determine that. You environment will dictate that. All Asus routers depending on region pretty much has the same output power. When it comes to radio signals all bets are off you just have to try and see what's best for you.

Just because a model is not supported by Merlin is no reason not to get it. All wireless is closed source anyway so Stock or Merlin should be the same as signal goes.

The signal is not the determinant of how stable a router is though. The bug-fixes and other improvements RMerlin offers goes a far longer way towards stability than any stock firmware I've tried.

i took a chance on the RT-AX86U. It was a hard choice, because I do like the Merlin firmware, but didnt want to chance the range. My local store offers no returns due to covid. I think i have buyer's remorse

i took a chance on the RT-AX86U. It was a hard choice, because I do like the Merlin firmware, but didnt want to chance the range. My local store offers no returns due to covid. I think i have buyer's remorse

IMO you made the best choice. I've just compared AG-AX11000, RX200 and RT-AX88U . To my surprise AG-AX11000 has weaker 2.4 compare to RT-AX88U. The difference is around 20-25 feet before my iPhone loosing the signal. Open air test. I put all 3 on my deck and walked away. (I walked a lot that day :) )
Netgear was loosing wifi constantly. RT-AX88U is the best in class. In addition you can flash it with Merlin. I do not do this, since I do trust ASUS more than Merlin and I do not know who is he and prefer ASUS due to security (my own opinion).

I installed all 3 in my office for a 24 hour test. AG-AX11000 couldn't get video stream from my Nest camera on the other side of my house. Netgear and 88u could, but Netgear lost the camera once after 6 hours without reconnection.

The only problem I have with 88U is one of my devices constantly loosing wifi when WPA2 Protected Management Frames are capable. Now I'm one week with rt-AX88U and RT-AC86U as a nod and have had 0 problems.

IMO you made the best choice. I've just compared AG-AX11000, RX200 and RT-AX88U . To my surprise AG-AX11000 has weaker 2.4 compare to RT-AX88U. The difference is around 20-25 feet before my iPhone loosing the signal. Open air test. I put all 3 on my deck and walked away. (I walked a lot that day :) )
Netgear was loosing wifi constantly. RT-AX88U is the best in class. In addition you can flash it with Merlin. I do not do this, since I do trust ASUS more than Merlin and I do not know who is he and prefer ASUS due to security (my own opinion).

I installed all 3 in my office for a 24 hour test. AG-AX11000 couldn't get video stream from my Nest camera on the other side of my house. Netgear and 88u could, but Netgear lost the camera once after 6 hours without reconnection.

The only problem I have with 88U is one of my devices constantly loosing wifi when WPA2 Protected Management Frames are capable. Now I'm one week with rt-AX88U and RT-AC86U as a nod and have had 0 problems.

All I can say is a comparison to an old RT-N68U. It is not a fair comparison, but the the range is defiately better with the RT-AX86U, to a point where i dont need a second access point with concrete block walls for mesh for my purposes. If i wanted the high speeds in every part of the house, then yes, an access point is needed. The current setup is a huge plus in comparison to what i had before. Routing extra cables can be a real pain in some circumstances.

All I can say is a comparison to an old RT-N68U. It is not a fair comparison, but the the range is defiately better with the RT-AX86U, to a point where i dont need a second access point with concrete block walls for mesh for my purposes. If i wanted the high speeds in every part of the house, then yes, an access point is needed. The current setup is a huge plus in comparison to what i had before. Routing extra cables can be a real pain in some circumstances.

I didn't run cables, I use TV coax MOCA adapters. I use them for years now ( 2.0). Now they have 2.5, but I see no reason for upgrade. Asus Aimesh works perfectly with MOCA 2.0

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013J7O3X0/?tag=snbforums-20

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!