What's new

Asus AX55 Duplex change

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

good4y0u

New Around Here
Hello all, I am new here and to the RT-AX55 Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.386_45934

I need to force the duplex of a lan port.
I understand there is no GUI option for this, if you happen to know one please let me know.

What I also know is there is no robocfg on the cli.

You can see the physical interfaces are attached to the br0 here

Code:
admin@RT-AX55-0688:/tmp/home/root# brctl show
bridge name     bridge id               STP enabled     interfaces
br0             8000.fc3497d00688       yes             eth1
                                                        eth2
                                                        eth3

I am able to use ethctl to get the bridge control but am unsure of how to change the duplex from here, no command seems to be working.

Code:
admin@RT-AX55-0688:/tmp/home/root# ethctl br0 media-type 1000FD port 3
invalid interface name br0
  media-type : Set/Get media type
  ethctl <interface> media-type [option] [port <sub_port#> ]
    [option]: auto - auto select
              10000FD - 10Gb, Full Duplex
              5000FD - 5Gb, Full Duplex
              2500FD - 2.5Gb, Full Duplex
              1000FD - 1000Mb, Full Duplex
              1000HD - 1000Mb, Half Duplex
              100FD - 100Mb, Full Duplex
              100HD - 100Mb, Half Duplex
              10FD  - 10Mb,  Full Duplex
              10HD  - 10Mb,  Half Duplex
    [port <sub_port#>]: required if <interface> has Crossbar or Trunk port underneath

If anyone knows a better way to do this, or the solution, I would be immensely grateful.

Last edited:
Hey buddy,

I made an account just to post this. I am not sure if you've figured it out on your own by now since it's been 10 months, but I'd like to leave this here for anyone else struggling with changing Speed & Duplex using ssh on their Asus router in 2022 (or even 2023 and beyond), only to find it does not have a "robocfg" command.

If you've given up on it after all this time, I have great news! You were SO close!

As you can see from the brctl show command you typed above, it actually lists the interfaces (eth1, eth2, eth3...) that are associated with that bridge to the right.

But then you may run into another problem: how can you tell which one is for your device? If you go changing settings for these ethernet ports willy-nilly, you could run into problems.
You can either:
1. Unplug your device from the router, and plug it back in. Then go to the System Log in your router's web UI and look for a few lines that show the device was disconnected then reconnected. Should look something like this (note the "eth3" after kernel):
Oct 24 00:12:16 kernel: eth3 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) (phyId: a) Link DOWN. Oct 24 00:12:26 kernel: eth3 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) (phyId: a) Link UP
Or...
2. If it's just one device that's plugged in all the time (like just your desktop computer), use the command "ethctl <interface> stats" on each one of the ports. You can tell a port is inactive when you see nothing but a whole bunch of zeroes for the packet and data usage stats. If you've unplugged other devices and still see results come up for those ports, I believe these stats show how much data has been transferred since the last time the router booted; so try rebooting.

Once you've figured out which port you want to change the Speed and Duplex to, put its interface name into the "ethctl <interface> media-type" command like so:
ethctl eth3 media-type 1000FD

And that's it! The Putty window / session may freeze or stop at this point, but you can definitely check that it worked by looking at your System Log in the router UI page again. Look for the magical words Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex

One more potentially important thing: if you're doing this to get a 1000 Mbps Full Duplex connection to your desktop (if you are here I figure that's probably why), then you may want to change your Speed and Duplex in your Advanced settings for your Ethernet Adapter to reflect this (Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > Right Click Ethernet Adapter > Properties > Configure > Advanced Tab)

I hope people in the future who are banging their heads against the wall trying to figure this out will stumble across this in their search results. If you are one of those people reading this now, I really hope this helped!!! :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!