What's new

Asus AX58U 2.4Ghz band keeps denying internet access

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If it were a bug it would be a widespread problem. I suspect you may have a hardware issue. My first RT-AC88U had 2.4 GHz radio problems just like OP described, but within a few days of those issues it just failed outright. My symptoms matched, down to everything starting to work again after touching wireless settings. After it failed you could still see the SSID on wireless devices, but it was impossible to connect.

The same hardware issue, disappearing with a firmware downgrade ?
It is an issue with RT-AX58U and some poeple are concerned. My problem (and I'm not alone) is that the 2.4GHz performance is down, but connection is possible.
But OK, for my part I'll wait for a next major firmware update.

I am still able to connect with this issue when the 2.4 radio isnt working properly, it is just that when I do connect it does not have any internet access, the SSID is still there and it is possible to connect.
I have downgraded to 384.19 but now I notice that performance is down across the 2.4 and 5 Ghz band. The speed is crippled and it has become very difficult to stream video consistently.
It's strange, it will begin an epsiode and play just fine, but when it goes to the next episode of the same show automatically, it's like it loses connection... I may need to upgrade back to the higher version as this is unusable.

My problem is a little bit different. I had no Internet access problem, only performance lack even on LAN (spped divided by 5).
With 384.19 no performance loss.

I am still able to connect with this issue when the 2.4 radio isnt working properly, it is just that when I do connect it does not have any internet access, the SSID is still there and it is possible to connect.
I have downgraded to 384.19 but now I notice that performance is down across the 2.4 and 5 Ghz band. The speed is crippled and it has become very difficult to stream video consistently.
It's strange, it will begin an epsiode and play just fine, but when it goes to the next episode of the same show automatically, it's like it loses connection... I may need to upgrade back to the higher version as this is unusable.
I have RT-AX3000 I have switched to 384.19 as well. But I'm in the same boat as you. Although it no longer denies internet on 2.4 GHz. It's become slower range has worsened. It shows full signal but actually can't connect. YouTube stops when I go to my kitchen.

Any solution found?

I have the same issue I see 2.4 GHz on my network but when I try to connect its say no internet connection. Using AC86u with the latest merlin. 5.0GHz no issues at all.

Last edited:
I have RT-AX3000 I have switched to 384.19 as well. But I'm in the same boat as you. Although it no longer denies internet on 2.4 GHz. It's become slower range has worsened. It shows full signal but actually can't connect. YouTube stops when I go to my kitchen.

Any solution found?
Have you checked for other interfering stations recently? If a neighbor installs a new AP, or just changes their WiFi channel it could cause lots of interference. That would manifest as you describe.

Running 386.3_2 currently
4 different AX58U units all with 2.4 ghz issues... I am having similar problems with the Asus AX58U on the 2.4Ghz band.
All work fine on 5ghz and via ethernet and all have problems on 2.4Ghz randomly slowing to a crawl or dropping about once or twice a day. Sometimes I might make it 2-3 days, but that is rare. If I go to the professional tab and toggle off the 2.4ghz radio and toggle it back on... The issue goes away and then randomly returns at some point.

The other issue I get on the 2.4ghz band is that occasionally someone will come here with a laptop that will not even see the 2.4ghz ssid that others can see and connect to without issue.

I have 3 AX58U routers currently and tested this issue on 4 units... I brought this up with ASUS over a year ago and they did an RMA. The replacement device had the same issue.
I have read through the forum trying many of the suggestions, resetting routers to defaults, reflashing, resetting and flashing factory or Merlin doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Default settings or disabling most of the features on the 2.4ghz... including wifi 6 mode. Same issue.

I have also tested this by having only 1 device on the 2.4ghz band....all other devices off. 2.4ghz still drops or slows to a crawl (under 1Mbps on a 100Mbps connection) about once a day. For the test device I have used a Samsung s7 phone connected to 2.4ghz. and then took that off and tested using a foscam 2.4 ip camera streaming 24/7 same results. Very basic settings at default values or default and disabling a few 2.4 "features". no vpn or other things added/enabled. Running only 1 router at a time, no Aimesh, manually setting the control channel to 1, 3 or 9 x 20Mhz wide. Very little interference on 2.4ghz as I am in a rural area... and as abserved via the wifi radar tools/ wifi analyzers on the phone.

I have not tested all firmware versions as my important things run fine on 5ghz.. However, it would be nice to use a few things that only have 2.4ghz ability (like older ip cameras) without having mess with the router daily. For me old firmware 3.0.0.4.384_9918 was the most stable on 2.4ghz but would still have similar issues but not as often.

Just giving my experience with the Asus AX58U and will continue to watch for newer firmware that may help.
Happy Holidays
CPC

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!