What's new

ASUS AX86U red dot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steve40th

Regular Contributor
I have xfinity. My daughter just texted, router shows red dot in front. Plugged in with ethernet to router, still no internet. Xfinity, as well as my daughter has rebooted both the modem and the router several times. Nothing is working. The router does show up on laptop as available. Just no data coming across.
Any troubleshooting advice to see what may be the issue?

I have xfinity. My daughter just texted, router shows red dot in front. Plugged in with ethernet to router, still no internet. Xfinity, as well as my daughter has rebooted both the modem and the router several times. Nothing is working. The router does show up on laptop as available. Just no data coming across.
Any troubleshooting advice to see what may be the issue?
Try another cable from the modem to the router.
Move the cable from the modem to the 2.5 GB port on the router (port on the far left looking at the back of the router)
Power both the modem and router down (unplug the cords) Power up the modem and let it settle in for 10 to 15 minutes then power up the router.

The red dot is the internet connection LED. So basically it means there's no internet. That's usually an ISP issue, unless she's been playing around with the cables.

Was it Xfinity ISP with the common "Your ISP's DHCP does not function correctly" issue with Asus routers?

Plug in direct laptop to xfinity and see if there is internet. Guessing no.
She did this and nothing. Xfinity Bot rebooted several times. There is no human there.
I had daughter reboot the modem and router a few times.
Then I had her plug an ethernet cable, cat 6E into two different laptops. Old laptop immediately brought up, Welcome to RT-AX86U, Create an account and additional settings.
Daughter is a bit frustrated to say the least.

Try another cable from the modem to the router.
Move the cable from the modem to the 2.5 GB port on the router (port on the far left looking at the back of the router)
Power both the modem and router down (unplug the cords) Power up the modem and let it settle in for 10 to 15 minutes then power up the router.
Having her do this now. Thnx

That's potentially going to confuse her as she won't get any internet connectivity unless she logs into the router and reconfigures the WAN port.

This "Welcome to RT-AX86U" is how Quick Internet Setup starts after the router was reset to factory defaults.

It will also show red WAN light (on default Gigabit WAN port) before WAN configuration settings are entered.

Found a picture online as an example from RT-AC68U router. Looks the same on RT-AX86U:

1685926658506.png

The reset button is at the back, very small, recessed and you have to hold it for like 10 seconds. Something else happened to this router.

Monitor it because this spontaneous reset may indicate some issues with the device.

I will. I am currently in Alaska, and she is on east coast. Hopefully this fixed it. But, it will be minitored first thing tomorrow morning once grand daughter shows up and turns tv on. If bad, I will get a text

You better watch for polar bears. :)

Thnx everyone. She followed the create new account, and its working. She must have hit the reset button.
Picked it up to clean under it and held down the WPS button conveniently located on the side? It's been known.

Picked it up to clean under it and held down the WPS button conveniently located on the side? It's been known.
No idea. I am going to be cautious and wait to see how it works out. Its not a place she would clean. Its behind a tv, on a pull doen swivrl mount in a nook. You really have to go out of your way to get to it.
I think her laptop lost connection, and she rebooted it via reset, instead of power button.
The question is why did she lose connection. Its been solid for along time.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!