What's new

Asus AX86U Wifi 6 question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thewizard1241

Regular Contributor
I am thinking about getting the AX68U WiFi router as my main router. I will use my old AC68U connected as an AIMESH NODE. My Question is, will the whole network drop down to AC because of the two different standards, or will it simply be a case of only the devices connected to the WiFi 6 router will benefit the wifi 6 features, and then the devices connected to the wifi 5 will utilize the wifi 5 features?

On the other hand, should i wait for wifi 6E routers?

Thanks

Last edited:
If you need to upgrade today, don't wait (for anything). Buy now.

The RT-AX86U may prove to be the router to have in the near future, but without RMerlin support, it is not an option worth considering now.

I believe that mixing an AX main router with an AC node in AiMesh mode is asking for trouble, eventually. At the very least, the variability in the experience will depend on which router you're connected to depending on the device, of course.

Either get an RT-AC86U today and use it in AiMesh with your current router or get two AX routers as you can, both with RMerlin support. The RT-AX88U and the RT-AX58U are a good combination but a step down from a 2x RT-AX88U setup.

Waiting for an AX 6E product worth buying is the better part of a year away. If they ever become worth buying. Right now, they're only on the 'interesting things to read about' level. Not the get your wallet out and part with your cash level.

Buy cheap if you want AX think AX58U there is no benefit from spending the huge amount of money on a AX88 when new standards are coming that all current AX routers will never be able to do. Just my 2 cents. Wifi 6E may be down the road but the road is not that long save now and spend later or you likely will wish you held off. Currently unless you have more then a few AX devices there is no major benefit from AX on the AC side.

Buy cheap if you want AX think AX58U there is no benefit from spending the huge amount of money on a AX88 when new standards are coming that all current AX routers will never be able to do. Just my 2 cents. Wifi 6E may be down the road but the road is not that long save now and spend later or you likely will wish you held off. Currently unless you have more then a few AX devices there is no major benefit from AX on the AC side.

Thank you, my plan is basically to wait for Rmerlin support for AX86U and get two of them. But if there is no support by the time WiFi 6E comes out, ill may as well just get wifi 6e devices. In the mean time ill just a AC68u setup

Last edited:
If you need to upgrade today, don't wait (for anything). Buy now.

The RT-AX86U may prove to be the router to have in the near future, but without RMerlin support, it is not an option worth considering now.

I believe that mixing an AX main router with an AC node in AiMesh mode is asking for trouble, eventually. At the very least, the variability in the experience will depend on which router you're connected to depending on the device, of course.

Either get an RT-AC86U today and use it in AiMesh with your current router or get two AX routers as you can, both with RMerlin support. The RT-AX88U and the RT-AX58U are a good combination but a step down from a 2x RT-AX88U setup.

Waiting for an AX 6E product worth buying is the better part of a year away. If they ever become worth buying. Right now, they're only on the 'interesting things to read about' level. Not the get your wallet out and part with your cash level.

Firstly thank you for the informative reply

I dont really NEED it per se but i am looking for an upgrade as i've had this router for years.

I think ill buy an AC86u and use it in the meantime as an AIMESH node, then when the AX86u gets merlin support, ill use two of them for a WiFi 6 Aimesh setup!

Any idea when there will be support for it?

Thanks again

Last edited:
I think ill buy an AC86u and use it in the meantime as an AIMESH node,

Given how easily and often folks mix up 68 and 86 in discussion...

Do get the RT-AC86U and configure it to be the AiMesh router/root node. Add your existing RT-AC68U as an AiMesh remote node.

Some AiMesh setup tips can be gleaned from my install notes.

OE

There are no guarantees which Asus router models will get the wizard's touch. But there is always hope it will be soon (it has just been released, so be patient). :)

Given how easily and often folks mix up 68 and 86 in discussion...

Do get the RT-AC86U and configure it to be the AiMesh router/root node. Add your existing RT-AC68U as an AiMesh remote node.

Some AiMesh setup tips can be gleaned from my install notes.

OE
LOL, Yes i know it doesnt help that i was half asleep haha

Thanks i just ordered it, I notice in your install notes it says use the more powerful one as the AIMESH router. My current router is the DSLAC68u, I'd have to buy an additional modem to make the RT-AC68U the main routers, does it matter in the long run which is which?

Cheers

LOL, Yes i know it doesnt help that i was half asleep haha

Thanks i just ordered it, I notice in your install notes it says use the more powerful one as the AIMESH router. My current router is the DSLAC68u, I'd have to buy an additional modem to make the RT-AC68U the main routers, does it matter in the long run which is which?

Cheers

I have not kept track of the state of AiMesh firmware for the DSL68U... combo box firmware often lags behind.

The 86U is the better router/network with better WiFi range. If possible, the DSL68U in bridge mode(?) and the 86U as router could be a stronger network than what you have now... perhaps enough. Describe your coverage area sq ft per level?

Otherwise, you're stuck using the 86U as a simple remote node.

I'd buy another 86U and bridge the DSL68U before I'd by another modem. But this depends on your area of coverage... you may not need more than one 86U.

OE

I have not kept track of the state of AiMesh firmware for the DSL68U... combo box firmware often lags behind.

The 86U is the better router/network with better WiFi range. If possible, the DSL68U in bridge mode(?) and the 86U as router could be a stronger network than what you have now... perhaps enough. Describe your coverage area sq ft per level?

Otherwise, you're stuck using the 86U as a simple remote node.

I'd buy another 86U and bridge the DSL68U before I'd by another modem. But this depends on your area of coverage... you may not need more than one 86U.

OE
Right makes sense. What i can do in the future is set the DSL as a bridge modem rather than selling this, so buying another modem wont be necessary.

I know for a fact that a single RT-AC68U wont cover the house, because i actually have tried an AX88U in the same spot but it didnt cover the whole house.

Right now ill just have to use the weaker node as the AIMESH router, and in the future i can set the DSL to bridge, and attach 2 AX routers in AIMESH, and that will be future proofed for a very long time.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!