What's new

Asus AX88U wireguard problem!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Funnyland123

Regular Contributor

Hello, I have now bought an AX88U and also imported the latest original firmware, which Wireguard now also has.

So far so good: Now to the problem, I downloaded the corresponding config from my VPN provider and also installed it on the router. If I activate the Wireguard, it says "connected" but I have no internet.

If I take the same file and import it into the Wiregard app on the Imac, the VPN runs immediately.

Now I tried to enter it manually, but it had the same effect.

If I take a config from a completely different provider, it works right away on the router.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem is?

this is what the file looks like (of course the keys have been changed by me)

[Interface]
Address = 10.14.0.2/16
PrivateKey = gLJUg,mfgsRit+unSz+ölkjdföglkjödlfkgjlkdföogkj=
DNS = 162.252.172.57, 149.154.159.92
[Peer]
PublicKey = fJDA+OA6.d.dfg,,RcoHfC2d.kn.dfng.,mdnfg.,msdng=
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0
Endpoint = de-fra.prod.surfshark.com:51820

Last edited:
I also experienced the similar situation with SurfShark nd raised a ticket with them. Its the problem with their severs. I tried some other locations in Asia and it did connect.

Ohhh that would of course be annoying because I would then like to run the entire home network with Wireguard and some things that I have are only country-specific.
For example Amazon Prime

But I'll test it with other countries, I admit that I haven't tested it yet.

ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.20499 does support Wireguard client and server. The client is set up in VPN Fusion which is a different beast from prior VPN setups. With VPN Fusion you can assign individual clients to a VPN or make the VPN client connection the default for all LAN clients. AS usual the Asus How-To's have much to be desired but the basic config is here: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1033909

ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.20499 does support Wireguard client and server. The client is set up in VPN Fusion which is a different beast from prior VPN setups. With VPN Fusion you can assign individual clients to a VPN or make the VPN client connection the default for all LAN clients. AS usual the Asus How-To's have much to be desired but the basic config is here: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1033909
Thanks for your hint, it doesn't have anything to do with the configuration either. It's just weird that no matter what I try and no matter what country, it doesn't work with Surfshark.

If I play the config or Manuel it shows me connected but I have no internet.

It doesn't matter if all users or just one doesn't work.

If I add this file or Manuel to the Wireguard app (on the Imac not on the router), everything works without any problems.

Factory reset was also unsuccessful.

It seems to be a bug in the current firmware I have the feeling.

So I once wrote with Surfshark and they say that Asus routers are currently not supported even with original firmware and Wireguard. The only funny thing is that a connection to England worked on the same router, unfortunately for the wrong country.

Surfshark is behind in their router support. They have not woken to the new Asus firmware. And your "bug" is more likely operator error.

Do not blame the firmware if you do not know how to configure it.

Surfshark is behind in their router support. They have not woken to the new Asus firmware. And your "bug" is more likely operator error.

Do not blame the firmware if you do not know how to configure it.
You say it's operator error, be so kind and please help me and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Import the file and press start, I don't find it really difficult.
I've done the same with other VPN providers and it works there.

Hello, I have now bought an AX88U and also imported the latest original firmware, which Wireguard now also has.

So far so good: Now to the problem, I downloaded the corresponding config from my VPN provider and also installed it on the router. If I activate the Wireguard, it says "connected" but I have no internet.

If I take the same file and import it into the Wiregard app on the Imac, the VPN runs immediately.

If I take a config from a completely different provider, it works right away on the router.

[Interface]
Address = 10.14.0.2/16
[Peer]
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0
Can you recheck your private key ? when I try to import it I obtain an error "Base64 The format is incorrect. Please check again and retype."

Can I suggest that you never post The PrivateKey as this info above lets eveyone onto surfshart vpn based on YOUR credentials....... Wiregaurd does not use a Name/Password but uses Private/Public keys instead.

Good job its not working ....

Can you recheck your private key ? when I try to import it I obtain an error "Base64 The format is incorrect. Please check again and retype."

Can I suggest that you never post The PrivateKey as this info above lets eveyone onto surfshart vpn based on YOUR credentials....... Wiregaurd does not use a Name/Password but uses Private/Public keys instead.

Good job its not working ....
"this is what the file looks like (of course the keys have been changed by me)" :cool:

It could be a provider issue, but I just want to make sure that the Asus side is correctly configured.

Just for the sake of troubleshooting, can you make sure that your WireGuard tunnel shows up as “Default Connection”

This is achieved by selecting “Enable all devices” in the tunnel profile. Or something close to that. I’m going from memory.

It might also help to use Google DNS on your router. Just for the sake of troubleshooting.

To enable devices onto the Wireguard tunnels I had to perform the following

1) create two wireguard tunnels A , B and ensure they connect.
2) Make Tunnel A the default
3) disconnect B and then add the devices you wish to connect to Tunnel B
4) Enable Tunnel B
5) Make the connection to the Internet the default tunnel again

This is the only way I have managed to add devices to VPN Fusion Wireguard tunnels.

I am having the same Issue on my AX88U, no connection on WireGuard Protocol. Also seems when i turn it off i lose ability to access the Router through the WebUI, Router reboot is required to gain access. Right now i don't think the new ASUS Firmware is configured properly, tried the Beta and the 2 Official Releases and all of have the same outcome. Even when i set the VPN to OpenVPN Protocol, and i run a test it shows my real IP Address(not always though), so i think the firmware just has too many holes in it right now to work correctly.

Asus Merlin for the AX88u does not yet have a Wireguard, only in the 388 version it will take a while.

The original firmware from Asus 518 at the end still has too many errors.

I continue to use OpenVPN and with Merlin I have endless options.

I'll wait for it to continue

I tried again, still no go getting a connection, disabled NAT, several reboots. So many extra steps just to get OpenVPN connected properly. I do not like the new Firmware at all, i will wait for several more firmware releases before i try again.

I've been writing to Technical Support for the last week regarding the AX88U and Surfshark issue.

You have also received a picture package with all the constellations of settings I can think of.
Also full access to Surfshark /Wireguard.

It was sent to Taiwan by Technical Support and they also have the problem and are now checking it out.

I've found that it's only with Surfshark and not a provider that I bought as a test.

I also noticed that when you add the config, you sometimes fly out of the GUI and have to dial in all over again.

Hello I just received a forwarded mail from Taiwan from Asus with a firmware where Surfshark works now. Where can you upload such large files here?

[Interface]
Address = 10.14.0.2/16
[Peer]
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0
Hi @Funnyland123

i would suggest that you check this Shellfire WireGuard page for some advice but further i will say that your file should more look like:

[Interface]
PrivateKey = 0WAS32G2Q/ezqv5ycufa1SPXXmCwJKgJ17q2+II7iEI=
Address = 11.43.42.260/32
DNS = 8.8.8.8

[Peer]
PublicKey = BUcSGUH5MXe9W+zCIGXlPQsR0uo4aC9WfIwqfh2H0iA=
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0
Endpoint = server99.shellfire.org:51899

regards

Hallo @Funnyland123

Ich würde vorschlagen, dass Sie diese Shellfire WireGuard-Seite für einige Ratschläge überprüfen, aber weiter werde ich sagen, dass Ihre Datei eher so aussehen sollte:

[Schnittstelle]
PrivateKey = 0WAS32G2Q/ezqv5ycufa1SPXXmCwJKgJ17q2+II7iEI=
Adresse = 11.43.42.260/32
DNS = 8.8.8.8

[Peer]
PublicKey = BucSGUH5MXe9W+zCIGXlPQsR0uo4aC9WfIwqfh2H0iA=
Erlaubte IPs = 0.0.0.0/0
Endpunkt = server99.shellfire.org:51899

Grüße

Danke für den Tipp aber ich nutze jetzt Nordvpn - Wireguard / Nordlynx auf meinem AX88U Router und es läuft super und verdammt schnell

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!